Casual Worker (Maintenance Mechanic)
Casual Worker (Maintenance Mechanic)
University of San Diego
Department: Building Maintenance
This is a temporary, non-benefit based position with an assignment end date of August 20, 2017.
Under supervision, performs semi-skilled to skilled maintenance mechanical duties necessary to maintain all building structure, equipment, and furnishings on any USD property, such as repainting/replacing minor plumbing parts, cleaning sewer and drain lines, replacing light switches, and outlets, and outlets, repair/replace window screens and latches. Repair/replace thermostats, clean and maintains space heaters. Make minor repairs to furniture. Supervision received: operates under the close supervision of the Building Maintenance Supervisor.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The responsibilities described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• Performs semi-skilled to skilled level tasks related to plumbing, electrical, carpentry, and heating trades in the following categories.
• Performs routine maintenance on all interior and exterior buildings and furnishings either on a work request or scheduled maintenance as directed by supervisor.
• Installs glass in windows, doors, and partitions.
• Replaces damaged ceiling tiles, floor tiles, and wall coverings.
• Repairs window screens, window hardware, and door closers.
• Works in a neat and orderly manner, cleans up daily at the end of each job.
• Maintains tools and equipment in good condition.
• Works with cement and plaster when required.
• Makes roof repairs as necessary.
• Works from ladders and scaffolding as well as in confined spaces.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Consistently follows and enforces safety practices appropriate to building maintenance and complies with rules and regulations established by the University and governmental agencies;
• Maintains an awareness of the typical hazards of the work place as well as the special hazards that may be encountered at any University facility location such as biohazards, low-grade radiation and chemicals known to the State of California to cause, birth defects, or other reproductive harm;
• Follows established governmental (local, state and federal) procedures for dealing with special hazards; and promptly reports any unusual conditions to the supervisor.
Special Conditions of Employment:
• Must be able to work assigned hours and may be assigned to work any shift. Employees working in this classification may be designated as essential personnel and subject to occasional overtime, call backs and may be required to serve 24/7 on-call rotation.
• Subject to occasional overtime and possible call back.
• Must posses valid California drivers License and will be required to drive University vehicles.
• Must wear a uniform prescribed and furnished by USD.
• May be assigned to work in the vicinity of laboratories where biohazards, radioactive or other potentially hazardous substances are stored or used.
• May be called in for emergency work after hours or on weekends.
• Must work individually or in teams coordinating assigned work with other groups and departments.
• May be assigned to work at any USD facility/location.
• Substantial knowledge in one of the functional areas.
• Substantial skills at the semi-skilled level in other functional areas.
• Demonstrated ability to operate and maintain hand and power tools, typically used in the trade, in a safe manner.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Physical ability to perform indicated keys.
• Demonstrated ability to work in teams or alone.
• Knowledge of University systems and procedures.
• Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of space heaters.
• Basic skills in maintenance and repair procedures including preventative maintenance, breakdown repair and troubleshooting.
• Basic knowledge of applicable codes and regulations.
• Ability to work effectively in an environment subject to frequently changing priorities.
• Ability to read, write and speak English.
• Ability to access input and retrieves information from a computer system for word processing, records retrieval and maintenance, research and communication purposes;
• Understands the importance of customer service and has the ability to follow-up as well as communicate to FM supervision and the campus clients.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes. Serious candidates are encouraged to request official transcripts to help expedite the hiring process.
Salary: $11.50 - $13.00 per hour
Hours: 40 per week
Closing date: May 11, 2017
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visitwww.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Click Apply Now to complete our online application and be sure to upload your resume for full consideration. In addition to your resume, you are strongly encouraged to upload a cover letter to your application profile for the hiring managers' review.If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org