Student Resource Specialist/Pre College Advisor - Rock Creek Campus
Student Resource Specialist/Pre College Advisor - Rock Creek Campus
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09022
Location: Rock Creek Campus
Address: 17705 NW Springville Road, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
Position Status: Academic Professional; Salary Level 3, Fulltime, Exempt
Starting Salary Range: $42,429/yr to $73,568/yr. Initial salary placement will normally be at Step 1. Advanced initial salary placement for directly relevant professional, business or industrial experience may be applied fo
Job Close Date: Apply Immediately; This position will close once sufficient applications have been received.
This Student Resource Specialist/Pre College Advisor will be responsible for providing support to students currently enrolled in developmental English and GED preparation classes at the Rock Creek campus. The Specialist will support students through academic planning, goal setting, and referral to appropriate campus and community resources. The Specialist will also work closely with faculty in the developmental English and GED programs to provide comprehensive services to ensure student success.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with a access to a broad range of benefit options.
Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance. Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
13.33 hours of Vacation leave per month
1 day of Sick Leave per month
3 additional Personal Leave days per year
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for yourself, domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age. Tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
For a complete list of PCC benefits please copy and paste the following link into another browser http://www.pcc.edu/hr/benefits/
1. Advise students on program requirements. Develop academic goals. Evaluate student's academic history and education, including transcript evaluation. Introduce students to resources available through the college. May assist students in career exploration.
2. Work collaboratively with program faculty and department chair to develop strategies for keeping at-risk students in class. Work collaboratively with other departments to facilitate and address student and program needs.
3. Provide support for students experiencing family, personal, or economic crises, which may impact school performance. Help student to access needed counseling services, support networks, community health, or housing services.
4. Develop, facilitate, and deliver classroom instruction on various topics such as time management, study strategies, goal setting, learning styles, career planning, and communication skills.
5. Develop, implement and maintain marketing, recruitment and retention strategies for assigned program. Create brochures, orientation materials, forms, and documents for distribution and/or presentation. Coordinate activities to introduce student to available community services and campus resources. Facilitate orientation meetings. Make presentations to schools, community organizations, churches, and other groups to explain program.
6. Maintain an active case file on each enrolled student. Maintain accurate case notes and documentation. Ensure confidentiality is maintained. Maintain statistical information and summarize information in reports as needed. Submit required paperwork according to specified timelines.
7. Perform related duties as assigned.
The education and/or work history sections of your online application form must demonstrate that you meet all of the following Minimum Qualifications. The information on the resume/cover letter will not substitute for the completed application.
Satisfactory references and successful completion of the criminal background check are required to meet the minimum qualifications for hire into this position.
In the online application's Education/Employment History sections, include jobs, duties, and dates that display these qualifications.
MINIMUM Qualifications for this specific position
Education: Bachelor's degree in Education, Psychology, Social Science, Counseling, or related field. Experience performing the duties of this job may substitute for the degree requirement on a year for year basis
- Demonstrated experience working in an educational or social service environment.
- Demonstrated experience working with at-risk and culturally diverse populations.
- Demonstrated experience working with students or clients in advising and developing goals.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Considerable knowledge of local, state, and federal rules and regulations, PCC academic requirements high school completion requirements, CIM/CAM, Prep, PASS or Perkins goals relating to specific program assigned.
Considerable knowledge of subject area and faculty issues.
Considerable knowledge of ethnic and cultural issues.
Knowledge of assessment, testing, and the interpretation and application of test results.
Knowledge of available college and community resources and/or programs.
Skill in operating a computer and various supporting software packages.
Skill in delivering public presentations.
Skill in effective advising and counseling techniques.
Skill in analyzing, interpreting and assessing data related to student progress, persistence, retention, success and drop out retrieval.
Ability to work with at-risk and culturally diverse populations.
Ability to prioritize multiple projects and work in an environment with regular interruption.
Ability to maintain a professional demeanor during emotionally charged situations.
Ability to explain policies and procedures/rules and regulations in a non-threatening manner.
Ability to operate a variety of office equipment.
Ability to effectively communicate in oral and written form.
Ability to meet required timelines.
Ability to manage and keep organized detailed information about the program and student progress.
PREFERRED Qualifications for this specific position
Education: Master's degree in Education, Adult Education, Psychology, Social Work, Counseling, Student Development, Higher Education Administration or a similar field.
Experience: In addition to that listed in the minimum qualifications:
Demonstrated experience tutoring or teaching in an academic setting
Demonstrated knowledge of Developmental Education and Adult Basic Skills students and/or programming
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position you must submit:
1. Completed responses to the (2) Required Questions from the Committee - scroll to see questions below - (attach document)*
2. Completed online application
3. Cover Letter (attach document)*. Please state in detail how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications for this position.
4. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
- Initial salary placement will normally be at Step 1. Advanced initial salary placement for directly relevant professional, business or industrial experience may be applied for new Academic Professionals.
- Upon hire candidate will be required to supply official copies of transcripts for all degrees earned.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Federation of Faculty/Academic Professional Employees. Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: jobs.pcc.edu
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.