Child Development Specialist - Part time (.62 FTE)
Child Development Specialist - Part time (.62 FTE)
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09016
Location: Sylvania Campus
Address: 12000 SW 49th Avenue, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
Position Status: Classified; Salary Level 16, Part time, Non-exempt
Starting Salary Range: $16.03 - $16.37 per hour
Job Close Date:
Under the direction of Child Development Center management, works with the Mentor Child Development Specialist to plan and implement developmentally appropriate curriculum and programs for children (ages infant to six years old) in the Child Development Center labs.
Part time position, benefits will be prorated.
Fall, Winter, Spring terms and summers off
1. Guides and oversees children, ages infant up to eight years, in the Child Development Center.
2. Facilitates and provides guidance for developmentally appropriate learning activities under the direction of the Mentor Child Development Specialist. Activities may consist of arts and crafts, music, dramatic play, and may be in individual or group format.
3. Works collaboratively with the Mentor Child Development Specialist during the assessment of children by observation.
4. Monitors interactions in lab for safety and intervenes if necessary.
5. Maintains and sets up lab equipment and playground equipment. Monitors equipment use
6. Cleans up lab and playground after activities.
7. Prepares and serves snacks/lunches to children in lab, following safety and sanitary regulations cleans up after meals.
8. Assists with program students in the lab by modeling and providing feedback on appropriate behavior with children and helping with projects.
9. Assists Mentor Child Development Specialist in keeping accurate lab records: attendance, parent information, schedules, receipts, fees.
10. Participates in Centerwide planning, facilities use, and program coordination.
11. Maintains current knowledge regarding research and practices in Early Education and Family Studies.
12. Establishes and maintains relationships with parents, including: assisting with orientation and providing daily feedback.
13. May assume responsibilities of Mentor Child Development Specialist in his/her absence.
14. Provides direction to casual staff and workstudy students.
The education and/or work history sections of your online application form must demonstrate that you meet all of the following Minimum Qualifications. The information on the resume/cover letter will not substitute for the completed application.
- Satisfactory references and successful completion of the criminal background check are required to meet the minimum qualifications for hire into this position.
High school diploma or equivalent and two years of post-secondary education in Early Childhood Education, Child Development, related area or CDA (Child Development Associate). Experience performing the duties of the position may substitute for the post-secondary education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
One year of experience providing group care of young children.
Must obtain First Aid Certificate and Food Handlers Card within 30 days of hire.
Must be enrolled in the Oregon Childcare Division Criminal History Registry.
- Experience in an NAEYC Accredited institution
- Demonstrated knowledge of the following:
- current principles, practices and methods of early childhood education
- general health and wellness of children
- assessment and program evaluation techniques
- contemporary office practices, procedures and equipment recordkeeping techniques
- Demonstrated ability to implement age appropriate curriculum to foster growth and development
- Demonstrated ability administering effective child development center policies and procedures
Additional Posting Information:
"Child Development Specialist" is the working title for this position; the formal title in the PCC job classification system is "Instructional Support Technician II"
To apply for this position you must submit:
1. Completed responses to the (3) Required Questions from the Committee - scroll to see questions below - (attach document)*
2. Completed online application
3. Cover Letter (attach document)*
4. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Federation of Classified Employees (PCCFCE). Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction. Probationary period will be in accordance with Article 13 of the Classified Agreement. Current Classified employees are encouraged to review Article 15 for salary placement guidelines.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Part Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: jobs.pcc.edu
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.