Nestled in a beautiful valley in the Southern Tier of New York, Alfred State has a long tradition of drawing the best faculty and staff from every field. This College of Technology offers outstanding opportunities in more than 70 majors, where project-based learning, sustainability, and civic engagement are cornerstones of the curricula. When students work on real-world problems, they learn how to think, not what to think, and they learn how to be involved in their community. That is why Alfred State graduates have a 99 percent employment and transfer rate.
Our faculty is dedicated to teaching and the academic success of our students. Alfred State seeks educators who are student-centered and engage in the life of the College. Our tenure process emphasizes teaching and university service with a more flexible approach to scholarship and professional growth. For faculty interested in research, the college maintains a teacher-scholar program to support research including applied research that complements our emphasis in experiential learning, civic engagement and sustainability.
Location: Alfred, NY
Posted: Apr 17, '17
This position will be developed around the strongest candidate to best utilize skillsets and to most completely meet the needs of the college farm.
Tasks and responsibilities can include, but are not limited to the following -
- Managing the college's organic herd to include feeding, organic herd work, milking, planned grazing, certification requirements, etc.
- Maintain, repair, and operate the robotic milker and other mission essential equipment at the farm.
- Maintain the grazing paddocks and laneways.
- Conduct daily chores to include feeding and stall/pen maintenance of calves, heifers, and other species of animals at the farm.
- Responsible (with other farm staff) to maintain the appearance and operation of the farm and ensure a safe environment for students, faculty, other staff, and visitors to the farm.
- Responsible to oversee the afternoon chore shift, supervise student interns, and stay to complete a night check.
- Responsible for heat watch and other reproductive practices.
- Maintain herd records, along with the Farm Manager, and provide data as needed for reporting and decision making.
- Assist in policy and procedural developments to streamline processes and provide best practices for students
2 years or more of recent, active, and relevant farm experience is a must.
Pursuant to University policy, Alfred State College is committed to ensuring equal employment, education opportunity, and equal access to services, programs, and activities without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, gender characteristics, marital status, veteran status, military status, domestic violence victim status, or ex-offender status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the University community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law or treated adversely based upon a protected characteristic.
All applicants are subject to a criminal, employment, and educational background check.
Applicants interested in positions may access the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report for the College at http://www.alfredstate.edu/student-services/annual-security-and-fire-safety-report. Crime statistics are reported in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. Applicants may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the SUNY Alfred State College University Police Department at 607-587-3999.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and resume.