Electrical Controls & Systems Engineer
AUTOMATED CONVEYOR SYSTEMS, INC. has been a leading provider of turnkey material handling systems and facility upgrades for over 40 years. Specializing in the corrugated, folding carton and the bottle and can industries, ACS has built a solid reputation on a foundation of service, craftsmanship, and innovative technology. ACS recruits and hires locally as often as possible and, whenever possible, supports the local economy when buying services, materials and supplies.
ACS is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
ACS, located in Lynchburg, VA, has an opening for an Electrical Controls & Systems Engineer to develop and design innovative solutions for our clients. This position is responsible for designing, developing and testing all electrical parts and components related to the conveyor and all its appurtenant programs and systems.
As Controls Engineer, you will be responsible for the design and support implementation of PLC-based control systems for conveyor and related equipment both in the plant as well as the following:
- Design control panels using various software packages such as AutoCAD
- Prepares field component layout including conveyor layout and sectionalizes conveyor per control systems requirement.
- Sketch field components such as motors, solenoids, photo eyes, limit switches on field layout.
- Selects programmable controller best suited for project according to I/O requirements, memory requirements and customer requirements.
- Provides technical information and assistance on matters dealing with special parts and components.
- Designs and specs motor and control circuits in accordance with UL508A specifications.
- Designs push-button controls/consoles per system requirements.
- After performing power calculations selects the proper control transformer and circuit breakers.
- Generates bill of materials required for control panel, consoles and field components.
- Completes production order notifying manufacturing group as what items need manufactured, wired and pre-wired.
- Support building and wiring of control panels
- Submits layout sketch, schematics sketch, bill of materials and production work sheet to drafting department.
- Reviews preliminary drawings and bills of material and makes changes and corrections as required.
- Re-submit changes and corrections to the drafting department and approves final draft with signature authorization. Releases to manufacturing for entry into production schedule.
- Writes and troubleshoots programs for PLC - PLC LadderLogic.
- As required, writes basic programs, C programs or D base programs.
- Coordinate needs, such as interfaces, with other vendors
- Provides telephone support for field installation and troubleshooting.
- Handles customer service problems as required.
- Provide on & off-site customer support & training
- Work overtime as required
- Travel approximately 60-75% of time
In order to qualify for this position, you will have:
- Formal post high school electrical education combined with relevant experience providing a knowledge of DC and AC circuitry
- Computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office and CAD software
- Ability to understand basic mechanical and electrical schematic drawings
- Familiarity with PLC ladder logic
- Good written & oral communication skills
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to interface well with customers and vendors
- Have the desire and self-initiative to be willing to continuously learn
Preferred Qualifications include:
Electrical Engineering degree with an emphasis on Industrial Control Systems (Associates or Bachelors)
Experience with one or more computer programming languages
PLC programming experience, especially with Allen-Bradley / Rockwell Automation products
This job will require travel to client sites (primarily in the US, but can occasionally travel worldwide). Travel expenses are 100% company paid and a generous per diem is provided. Employees keep their hotel, rental car and airline points.
Qualified candidates, please submit your cover letter and resume for immediate consideration. We will review your qualifications and contact you if we feel you are a match for this role. If you're not a match, we will build a profile on your behalf in hopes of contacting you in the near future with opportunities that more closely match your skill set, education and experience.
We offer excellent benefits including medical, dental, life & disability insurance, matching 401(k), FSA, and education tuition assistance.
Lynchburg, VA is an up and coming city that offers plenty of outdoors activities, from sports leagues to hiking, hunting/fishing and camping. Its location is perfect for easy access to Washington, DC, Philadelphia, PA and NYC. A great place to raise a family, Lynchburg offers great dining, the arts, professional organizations and places of historical significance. Please visit http://www.discoverlynchburg.org/ for more information
Leading manufacturer of custom material handling and conveyor systems used in the corrugated box industry.
Mon, 17 Apr 2017 12:47:49 PDT