Mechanical Engineer - Cubesat
The Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics LASP at the University of Colorado Boulder CU began in 1948, a decade before NASA. We are the world's only research institute to have sent instruments to all eight planets and Pluto.
LASP is a world-renowned space science research institute, combining all aspects of space exploration through our expertise in science, engineering, mission operations, and scientific data analysis. As part of CU, LASP also works to educate and train the next generation of space scientists, engineers and mission operators by integrating undergraduate and graduate students into working teams. Our students take their unique experiences with them into government or industry, or remain in academia to continue the cycle of exploration.
Be challenged. Be pioneering. Be visionary. Be Boulder.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Interfacing with a multi-disciplinary team
• Documenting interfaces and requirements
• Designing specialty mechanical hardware mainly structural components
• Modeling hardware in SolidWorks
• Performing other mechanical engineering tasks including mass properties, harness routing, simple analysis, production planning, creating drawings, etc.
What we require:
• Minimum 5 years' experience mechanical engineering and design
• BS or higher degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering from an accredited institution
• Due to Export Control Restrictions, only US Citizens and Permanent Residents may apply
What you will need:
• CAD design experience with SolidWorks minimum 4+ years of daily usage
• Working knowledge of Cubesats
• Working knowledge of opto-mechanical design
• Experience creating mechanical drawings
• Experience with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing GD&T
• Ability to function well in a team based environment
• Attention to detail
• Resourcefulness and creativity
• Ability to take personal responsibility for projects and work independently
Due to U.S. Export Control Restrictions only U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents may apply.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 - Curriculum Vitae or Resume 2 - Cover Letter. The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans. Alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting the ADA Coordinator at email@example.com. The University of Colorado at Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10060 - Lab Atmos/Space Physics
Posting Date: Apr 17, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Freya Olson
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00732627