ASK Program Screener-PRA
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
Nature of Work:
This is a full-time PRA position for a Screener for the Autoimmunity Screening for Kids (ASK) Program at the Barbara Davis Center for Diabetes (BDC). This is a jointly funded research project from the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF), the Helmsley Charitable Trust (HCT), and the Janssen Foundation with the primary goal of preventing acute and long-term complications of Type 1 Diabetes (T1D) and Celiac Disease (CD) through screening and ongoing monitoring program. The aim of first year is to plan and launch a large scale screening children 2-17, to identify those at risk for two childhood autoimmune diseases--T1D and CD and to follow those identified with an education and monitoring intervention. If successful a 3-year application to continue the program will be implemented. A primary study objective is to develop, beta-test, and revise a multi-prong screening approach tailored to pediatric practices, Colorado Children's Hospital Network of Care, federally qualified health centers (FQHCs), schools, community centers or micro clinics. Goal: screen 5,000 children during the planning year. This will include developing and launching a metro-wide community awareness campaign to engage and recruit the public for participation.
This position will be assisting the ASK Screening Team Leads and ASK Program Manager with the implementation of this large-scale community screening program, which will include being deployed throughout the Denver-metro area in clinics, hospitals, the BDC, and screening sites (e.g., health fairs, schools) to see if parents and their children between the ages of 2-17 are interested in being screened for T1D and CD. For those who are interested in participating, the screener would explain the study, administer informed consent, and collect demographic information and blood sample. Responsibilities will also include follow-up tasks associated with the screening recruitment, data collection, and working with screening partners.
This position reports to the ASK Program Manager (Cristy Geno, MPH, PhD) and ASK Screening Team Leads. This position will also work closely with the larger ASK team, including ASK Principal Investigator (Marian Rewers, MD, PhD), Sr. Investigator (Judith Baxter, MA), Clinical, Lab and Data Management Teams. Supervision will include training and oversight for the position's responsibilities. The position is part of a larger study team that includes other related studies and will be expected to participate as part of this team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recruit and screen study participants from local clinics, hospitals, the BDC, and screening sites, this includes working with parents and children in a wide age range in a variety of care settings.
- Conduct all aspects of data collection according to a standardized protocol from those agreeing to participate including:
- administering informed consent
- collecting demographic information
- collecting blood required blood sample
- Assist Screening Team Leads, Program Manager, and study team with practice engagement and education activities, tailoring screening protocol to specific settings, and conducting the screening protocol.
- Assist with associated screening activities at clinics, hospitals, and screening sites including: maintaining and coordinating staffing schedules for the various clinic and hospital screening sites, supply inventory, produce screening results letters, study participant communications ( letter mailings, contact participating families), and data entry of screening forms.
- Coordinate blood sample pickup and transportation schedule with clinics, hospitals, BDC, and Study Lab.
- Assist with the paperwork processing, filing, and preparation of presentations as needed.
- Other screening associated tasks that emerge
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- Bachelors of Arts or Sciences with background in biology or a health-related field preferred. Work experience that can be substituted on a year for year basis.
- 1 year paid work experience required, with experience in a medical research or clinical setting preferred.
- Experience in research or recruiting participants for research studies.
- Certified phlebotomist or phlebotomy experience is highly desirable.
- Experience working with physicians and nurses is desirable.
- Spanish reading, writing and speaking fluency desirable.
- Good communication skills desirable.
This position will be 20-40 hours/week, and includes morning (8:00-12:00), afternoon (12:00-6:00), evenings (6:00-12:00) and weekend shifts. Screening is conducted 7 days/week and shifts are shared across multiple study recruiters. Must have a reliable vehicle, valid driver's license and able to drive to multiple screening locations in the metropolitan area.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 9160
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20061 - SOM-Barbara Davis Center
Posting Date: Apr 17, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Gabrielle Cook
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00732664