Medical Assistant (Health Care Tech I)
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Medical Assistant (Health Care Technician I)
Position #729845 - Requisition 09174
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is currently seeking applications for a Medical Assistant (Health Care Technician I). This full-time, University Staff (unclassified) position in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology will be responsible for assisting physicians and nurses in the CU ARM Stapleton practice by setting up the patient rooms, clearing and preparing rooms, cleaning equipment, providing basic patient monitoring, obtaining vitals, conducting blood draws, assisting during procedures, answering phones, scheduling patients, checking in patients, collecting copays, registering patients, and checking messages on front desk and nurse phones. Returning calls to patients. This position includes weekend hours.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Understand and collect fees for copays, package payments, and self-pay.
- Assist physicians during exams and procedures, including basic patient monitoring (e.g., blood pressure, pulse, etc) and handling non-sterile supplies.
- Maintain clinic equipment including cleaning equipment after procedures and preparing instrument trays for sterilization.
- Clean exam rooms and ultrasound rooms after exams and procedures, including disposal of non-hazardous materials (patient drapes, etc.).
- Assist the Practice manager with chart set-up, equipment and supply monitoring, ordering, and patient follow-up.
- Prepare exam rooms for procedures and exams including setting up sterile and non-sterile procedure trays and setting up the exam table.
- Drawing blood for in-house and outside laboratory analysis.
- Front Desk duties include but are not limited to:
- Greeting patients with an upbeat, understanding and supportive attitude.
- Establishing a relationship with patients on multiple levels, this will be instrumental when registering patients, responding to inquiries, gathering information regarding referrals/authorizations and insurance, as well as scheduling procedures, labs, ultrasounds and consults.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- A High School Diploma or GED.
- A valid and current Medical Assistant or Certified Nursing Certification is required at the time of application.
Conditions of Employment:
- Possess a current and valid CPR Training Certification and be able to provide proof of certification OR be willing, able and eligible to obtain certification within 30 days of employment. Failure to obtain certification may result in termination.
Must be willing and able to:
- Lift, push, and/or pull up to 20 lbs.
- Work in an environment that may expose you to fumes, chemicals, liquid nitrogen, extreme cold, blood/body fluids, and infectious disease.
- Frequently wash your hands, as biohazardous materials may be present.
- Sit and stand for long periods of time, frequently walk, and bend/stoop, as well as execute repetitive motions.
- Work with complex and sharp laboratory equipment, and various chemical and biological solutions.
- Wear appropriate safety equipment when handling biological samples and hazardous chemicals.
- Experience scheduling patients for appointments using electronic software.
- Experience taking blood pressure and pulse and performing blood draws.
- Experience setting up sterile and non-sterile procedure trays and medical procedure rooms.
- Experience with medical chart preparation and set-up.
- Experience completing lab forms.
- Bilingual, Spanish preferred.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to keep a sense of calm, control, with ability to time manage while multi-tasking is vital.
- Excellent communications, customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and work independently with minimal supervision.
- The successful candidate will be detail oriented, self-motivated, a fast learner and possess excellent time management, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.* REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2). A current resume/CV. 3). List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to LuAnn Lacey at LuAnn.Lacey@ucdenver.edu.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21583 - SOM-OB/GYN ARM
Posting Date: Apr 17, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: LuAnn Lacey
Posting Contact Email: LuAnn.Lacey@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00729845