Facilities Technician, Position #2245
This position is responsible for third shift operations of all existing facilities on the Claremont McKenna College campus, to include preventive, corrective, and building maintenance, housekeeping tasks within residential and academic buildings, and grounds upkeep. This position requires one to respond to questions/requests and address unexpected afterhours campus issues. The position requires interaction with students, Facilities and Campus Services staff, Campus Safety Officers and Dean of Students on call personnel. This position provides a presence on campus to discourage thwart illegal and disruptive activity and to report such activity to Campus Safety.
Reporting to the Grounds Manager this position is responsible to perform the following essential duties and responsibilities:
1. Maintain campus grounds and grounds equipment.
2. Set up, clean and pick up from scheduled events. Participate in cleaning fields for games and/or weekend events.
3. Assist CMC Maintenance with preventative measures on campus. Perform minor maintenance repairs such as: plumbing, small leaks and be able to shut off valves, if needed.
4. Provides a presence on campus to discourage thwart illegal and disruptive activity and report such activity to Campus Safety.
5. May be required to respond to emergency situations. Work with Dean of Students and Campus Safety to evaluate/respond to incidents/issues. May require enforcement of campus policies.
6. Review and adjust sprinkler coverage throughout watering cycles.
7. Perform minor housekeeping duties such as: cleaning up spills and glass, spraying for ants and other small housekeeping duties inside and outside of buildings.
8. Remove and dispose of trash from exterior trash cans.
9. Ability to evaluate and reset circuit breakers.
10. Troubleshoot basic HVAC complaints and/or address requests.
11. Clean debris from tree lighting and review for proper function.
12. Clean/wipe trash receptacles, glass rails, campus signage, and pipe handrails.
13. Keep records of what has happened during the night shift.
14. Assist in gaining access to various doors on campus for students and/or vendors.
15. May solicit input from administrators in the major buildings and/or departments to identify issues and/or concerns.
16. May utilize powered blowers, lawn mowers, edgers, hedge trimmers and other powered equipment.
17. Perform other duties and tasks as assigned.
EDUCATION: Any combination of education, training and/or experience equivalent to High School Diploma or GED that provides the required knowledge, skills and ability.
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of three (3) years of grounds keeping and/or maintenance experience with increasing responsibility.
LICENSES: Requires a valid California Driver’s License and maintain a driving record acceptable to the College’s insurance carrier.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be able do all physical activities, stand, walk, bend, climb, push, pull, and lift up to 50 pounds from the ground to the waist without assistance and climb ladders up to 6 feet unassisted. Must be able to work on feet for prolonged periods of time. Must take and successfully pass a functional capacity test after job offer and prior to hire.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES: Individual must possess knowledge, skills, and ability to be able to successfully perform the essential functions of the position, or be able to explain or demonstrate how the essential functions will be performed, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge skills and abilities.
• Must know safe working methods and procedures. Must have knowledge of cleaning chemicals.
• Must be able to walk or drive safely around campus during night time and in low light levels.
• Must be able to operate the College’s vehicles safely for campus-related work and meet all insurance-related requirements.
• Must be able to communicate and provide direction to others in a clear and professional manner.
• Must have the ability to work well without continuous supervision. Must be able to work cooperatively with others.
• Must wear uniform and safety equipment as required.
• Must be able to work in an environment with a diverse student population. Must be able to work in areas where you may be exposed to different type of odors and spills.
• Must be able to change out light bulbs in a variety of fixtures (training to be provided for specific campus lighting).
• Must have basic plumbing knowledge.
• Must have some knowledge of working with powered blowers, lawn mowers, edgers, hedge trimmers and other powered equipment.
• Must be able to take and follow directions. Must be able to receive and respond appropriately to constructive criticism.
• Must be able to display a positive attitude. Must be able to multitask.
• Must be able to understand and follow basic instructions in English, both orally and in writing.
• Must be knowledgeable of and be able to enforce College policies.
REQUIRED HOURS: The regular hours for this full time position are 10:00 p.m. to 6:30 a.m., Wednesday through Sunday. Holiday hours may be required. Regular hours may vary due to needs of the College or division. This is a 12-month position.
CLASSIFICATION AND STATUS:
This is a non-exempt position.
This is a regular, full-time position.
This is a benefit-eligible position.
IPEDS Category Job Code: 37-0000 Building and Grounds Cleaning and Maintenance Occ
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
GROOMING AND APPEARANCE: The Claremont Colleges seek to maintain a neat and professional image at all times. A uniform is required at all times and will be provided.
BACKGROUND CHECK: The successful candidate will be required to undergo a full consumer background check. This position will require the successful completion of a post-offer physical agility test. Employment is contingent on the satisfactory results of the aforementioned, in addition to compliance with requirements cited in this job description.
ADA/OSHA: This job description defines the essential or fundamental job duties of this position. It is assumed that employees hired for this position can perform the essential functions of this job without imposing risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of themselves or others. It may also include marginal functions, generally defined within Title 1 of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
DISCLAIMER: This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the College will review this job description and make changes of business necessity.