Instructor/Extension Specialist - Family and Consumer Sciences
General Description of Position: The Northwest Regional Research and Extension Center in Colby, Kansas is seeking an Extension Specialist for Family and Consumer Sciences. The person selected for the position will provide leadership for Extension agents in NW Kansas doing programming in family and consumer sciences, including, but not limited to, family life, nutrition, food safety, parenting, communication, financial management, leadership, health and safety. A master's degree in a Family and Consumer Sciences subject matter or a closely related field is required. Education, training and interest in Family Development/Adult Development and Aging, Health or Family Resource Management is preferred. Diversity and Inclusion: Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university established the Office of Diversity, led by the associate vice provost for diversity and a dedicated staff. Additionally, each college has a designated Diversity Point Person to provide insight and guidance.
Kansas State University received the prestigious Higher Education Excellence in Diversity, or HEED, award from Insight Into Diversity magazine for the past three years. Multicultural students account for 15 percent of our student population, a university record and continuing trend.The Successful Candidate will:
- Provide visionary leadership to Extension Agents, Extension Boards, local Program Development Committees, and community leaders in analyzing situations, identifying needs, obtaining extramural funding and in developing education programs for children, youth, adults, families and communities.
- Provide leadership in expanding long-term, outcome-based Extension programming in Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) in general, and in at least one area of expertise.
- Assist Extension Agents in developing area-wide and/or multi-unit programs.
- Establish and/or maintain collaborative relationships with other area organizations, and groups to help further the K-State Research and Extension mission.
- Provide liaison between the county/district, area, and state FCS staff of K-State Research and Extension to promote effective and efficient interaction.
- Provide training opportunities for local K-State Research and Extension staff including:
- Evaluation of county/district and area FCS program effectiveness;
- Leadership development;
- New agent orientation and training;
- Developing collaborations including resource development;
- Supporting county/district personnel in developing and carrying out personal professional improvement plans;
- Proactively ensure that potential clientele have equal access to programs without religion, sex, national origin, age or disability, regard to race, color,
- Actively participate in personal professional development growth opportunities
- A master's degree in a Family and Consumer Sciences subject matter or closely related field
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with individuals, groups, and through mass media/social media.
- Interest in working with people as individuals, groups, and co-workers to accomplish individual and/or group goals as evidenced by college and community activities, as well as past work experiences.
- Demonstrated ability in designing, promoting, implementing and evaluating educational programs.
- Ability to utilize electronic communication and computer applications within the framework of Extension program development, delivery and
- Familiarity with various ethnic and socio-economic audiences and commitment to working with adults and youth from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability in training professionals.
- Demonstrated success in forming partnerships with organizations and agencies external to the University and Cooperative Extension System.
- Professional experience with Cooperative Extension.
- Education, training and interest in Family Development/Adult Development and Aging, Health or Family Resource Management
- PhD in an FCS subject matter or closely related field.
- Demonstrated success in extramural grant writing.
- Submit cover letter addressing experiences related to the above mentioned responsibilities and qualifications
- Vitae and any other information to communicate qualifications for the position.
- Copies of transcripts for all university degrees
- Names, email addresses, and phone numbers for three professional references familiar with your work, including college professors if a recent graduate.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment.Screening of Applications Begins:
May 15, 2017
If you have questions about the position or application process, please contact: Dr. Debra Bolton, Search Committee Chair, email@example.com, 620-275-9164, or Dr. Wayne Moore, Regional Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, 785-462-6281.Salary Range / Pay Rate: $55,000-75,000 Equal Employment Opportunity: Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law. Background Screening Statement: In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.