Nestled in a beautiful valley in the Southern Tier of New York, Alfred State has a long tradition of drawing the best faculty and staff from every field. This College of Technology offers outstanding opportunities in more than 70 majors, where project-based learning, sustainability, and civic engagement are cornerstones of the curricula. When students work on real-world problems, they learn how to think, not what to think, and they learn how to be involved in their community. That is why Alfred State graduates have a 99 percent employment and transfer rate.
Our faculty is dedicated to teaching and the academic success of our students. Alfred State seeks educators who are student-centered and engage in the life of the College. Our tenure process emphasizes teaching and university service with a more flexible approach to scholarship and professional growth. For faculty interested in research, the college maintains a teacher-scholar program to support research including applied research that complements our emphasis in experiential learning, civic engagement and sustainability.
Department: Technology Services-Instructional Technologies
Location: Alfred, NY
Posted: Feb 13, '17
Reporting to the Director of Online Learning, the Instructional Designer is responsible for supporting the development of high quality, technology-mediated academic courses and programs for the online and hybrid classrooms. The candidate will provide LMS support to faculty and students in collaboration with support departments. The candidate will consult, train, and serve as a resource to faulty in the design, development, evaluation, and revision of teaching, learning, and assessment needs to support a learning-centered environment. The candidate will further facilitate the learning-centered environment and student experience in online courses and programs guided by the OPEN SUNY Guide for Concierges.
Specific job duties include, but are not limited to;
- Provides pedagogical and technical support to faculty to develop, design, and create online instructional content applying instructional design oversight and active and applied learning principles in the development and design process.
- Collaborates with the faculty to design, develop, and implement interactive online and hybrid courses and programs using best practices in design, Section 508 Accessibility standards and course design standards per a rubric (e.g. OSCQR rubric).
- Provides development opportunities to faculty including designing and delivering workshops about innovations, updates, selecting and constructing materials, and instructing using new technologies.
- Assists faculty in the use of course management software and multimedia recording equipment.
- Facilitates and participates in course development projects, as well as the development of instructional materials.
- Identifies training needs for faculty and will work as part of the team to ensure that faculty members are properly trained on the learning management system and any third-party hardware or software to promote effective teaching of the online courses.
- Maintains a broad understanding of the institution as a whole and the student process from lead to enrollment in courses.
- Assists in developing a sustainable model for Alfred State to support the student experience for online courses through navigating online learning and assisting in finding solutions for technology related issues.
- Works with support departments to coordinate student training opportunities based on areas of need.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in Instructional Design, Graphic Design, Computer Science, Education, or a related field.
- Instructional Design experience for courses and/or programs
- Experience directly related to distance learning and/or instructional technology
- Experience with a course review process.
- Faculty and student training experience.
- Demonstrated experience with one or more of the major LMS, including Blackboard, Desire2Learn, Moodle, or Canvas. Preference given to Blackboard experience.
- Strong work ethic with demonstrated collaborative and coordinative skills.
- Demonstrated organization and ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent communicator in both oral and written communication.
- Experience with computerized systems.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Professional Organization Involvement.
Master's degree from an accredited institution in Instructional Design, Graphic Design, Computer Science, Education, or a related field with 2-3 years of experience in designing and developing online instructional materials and courses.
Pursuant to University policy, Alfred State College is committed to ensuring equal employment, education opportunity, and equal access to services, programs, and activities without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, gender characteristics, marital status, veteran status, military status, domestic violence victim status, or ex-offender status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the University community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law or treated adversely based upon a protected characteristic.
All applicants are subject to a criminal, employment, and educational background check.
Applicants interested in positions may access the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report for the College at http://www.alfredstate.edu/student-services/annual-security-and-fire-safety-report. Crime statistics are reported in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. Applicants may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the SUNY Alfred State College University Police Department at 607-587-3999.
All applicants must upload a resume and cover letter.