University Executive Controller (Univ Administrator)
The City University of New York (CUNY) invites nominations and applications for the position of University Executive Controller. The University Executive Controller is a senior executive level position reporting to the Deputy Chief Financial Officer. S/he is the University's Chief Accountant and is responsible for management oversight of all University-wide accounting, financial reporting and accounts payable functions. The University Controller is also responsible for ensuring that the Office of the University Controller is strategic and innovative, operating in an economic, efficient and effective manner, and focused on providing superior professional service, support and guidance to the CUNY community.
The University Executive Controller will also be expected to: continuously improve the financial management of the University and exercise a leadership role in the continued re-engineering of university-wide business practices in light of a new generation of financial management information systems, and the move to a shared services environment; and play a very visible role in the continued enhancement of the University's ERP system, particularly in the areas of the general ledger, accounts receivable, accounts payable, travel and expense, asset management, and student financials.
Other duties include, but will not be limited to the following:
- Assures the University's financial accountability and compliance with federal, state, and city rules and regulations;
- Interprets and issues advisories on Governmental Accounting Standards and other accounting rules and regulations;
- Serves as a liaison with counterparts in the federal government, state, city and other peer agencies.
- Maintains the overall integrity of financial records and internal control environment of the University;
- Oversees development and monitoring of effective accounting and financial management policies and procedures for the University;
- Oversees the monthly, bi-annual and year end closing processes;
- Oversees the preparation of various financial and managerial reports, including the University's consolidated financial statements, senior college financial statements, individual college financial statements, single audit and IPEDS reports;
- Oversees the University's accounting functions and systems related to tuition and fees; financial aid, non-tax levy, expense and bank reconciliation; capital asset and debt, and fixed asset inventory;
- Oversees the accounts payable and travel and expense area in a shared services environment;
- Consults with and advises college staff on accounting and other financial matters;
- Manages, develops, and evaluates the Controller's Office professional and classified staff;
- Participates in the central administrative management of University activities, including interaction with campus and related organizations' financial managers and staff;
- Participates in or leads certain routine and non-routine University-wide meetings;
- Attends and makes presentations, when needed to the Board of Trustees Fiscal Affairs Committee, Subcommittee on Audit and at other senior staff meetings.
This position is in CUNY's Executive Compensation Plan. All executive positions require a minimum of a Bachelor's degree and eight years' related experience.
- Advanced degree;
- Professional accounting certification (CPA or equivalent);
- At least ten years of progressively responsible experience overseeing financial management, accounting and reporting functions, of which no less than five years are in a senior supervisory capacity.
The ideal candidate is a seasoned financial leader of integrity, who possesses superior, analytical, communication, and interpersonal skills, and has the capacity to think strategically and creatively. He or she must also possess a strong understanding and embrace the use of information technology and benchmarking and performance metrics, and have a track record of leading change.
The ideal candidate must also have demonstrated the ability to provide effective leadership, vision, supervision, professional development, and training to ensure individual staff development and achievement of organizational goals and provide a high level of customer focused services and continuous improvement in the finance and accounting areas.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Executive Compensation Plan: salary commensurate with qualifications, experience, and education.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, submit a cover letter and CV/rsum online via CUNY's web-based job system, addressing how your experience and credentials fulfill the responsibilities and qualifications outlined.
The direct link to the job opening from external sources is:
Open until filled; the review of applications will begin on or after January 5, 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Executive
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Central Office
Job Title: University Executive Controller (Univ Administrator)
Job ID: 16158