ASSIST DIR, PROGRAMS
ASSIST DIR, PROGRAMS
Fraternity & Sorority Life
Scope of Responsibilities
As a member of the UCAE Student Life team, the Assistant Director for Fraternity and Sorority Life plans, coordinates, and evaluates leadership training and educational initiatives for the Greek community. Advise Greek students in event management, planning and execution of large scale educational and philanthropic events, and contract negotiation. Create, enforce, and implement policy and procedural initiatives to insure safe practices in risk management and responsible decision-making. Supervise one full-time staff member responsible for advising the Panhellenic Council (Panhel) and one graduate student. Directly advise the National Pan#Hellenic Council (NPHC), and the Multicultural Greek Council (MGC). Engage collaboratively and partner with key stakeholders, such as alumni, within the Duke University and Durham communities to support the ever changing and diverse student population.
Duties % of Effort
- Advise the NPHC and MGC executive councils and attend their weekly meetings. Serve as a resource for students and their advisors. Attend a variety of educational and philanthropic events hosted by MGC and NPHC chapters. Establish guidelines, timelines and procedures for new member intake processes. Partner with the Mary Lou Williams Center for Black Culture in the coordination of student participation in the Black Student Alliance Invitational weekend. Advise students in the logistical details of charter day and Founder day celebrations, MGC and NPHC weeks, and chapter parties. Serve as the campus liaison for each member organization. Provide crisis management response to NPHC, MGC groups, and other student groups who plan retreats and engage in off campus immersion experiences. 30
- Assist the Associate Director for Fraternity and Sorority Life in the planning, coordination, and evaluation of a comprehensive leadership training and development curriculum for fraternities and sororities. Plan and coordinate new member education, risk management, and gender and sexual violence prevention workshops. Lead alumni seminars and the family weekend presentation. Advise all Greek chapters in the planning and execution of large scale events, including all aspects of event planning and contract negotiation. Partner with the Student Involvement team in the event registration and approval process for all Greek letter organizations. 25
- Supervise, train and evaluate one full-time staff member responsible for the advisement of the Panhellenic Council including the overall planning, execution, and implementation of Panhellenic recruitment. Ensure that effective performance reviews are conducted with full-time staff. Support Panhel women and in risk reduction efforts through creating and facilitating workshops. Supervise one graduate student. 25
- Oversee the annual revisions of Fraternity and Sorority Life policies and procedures. Create policies and procedures related to departmental and Greek Life operations to provide effective resource utilization, standardized policies, and consistent information. Provide leadership in assessment of workshops and trainings. Communicate on behalf of Fraternity and Sorority Life to all four Councils 15
- Perform other duties as assigned, including executing administrative projects, team assignments, and committee work. 5
Education: Master's degree required in Higher Education, Student Affairs or related field of study.
Experience: Work generally requires a minimum of two years of experience in student activities, advising, student organizational support, and program planning at the undergraduate and/or graduate level with progressive levels of responsibilities. Prior experience managing full-time and student employees required.
Knowledge: Must be familiar with Fraternity and Sorority Life umbrella groups, recruitment processes of each of the Councils, program development and implementation. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
2775 ASSIST DIR, PROGRAMS
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion,sexual orientation, or veteran status.Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires analytical, communications and organizational skillsgenerally acquired through completion of a bachelor's degree program.
Work generally requires two years experience in personnel, college oruniversity administration, or a related field to acquire skillsnecessary to provide program management, advising and generaladministrative support.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.