Supervisor, Advising (Area of Study)
General Statement of Job
To supervise the staff and operations of the advising office on a campus within Austin Community College (ACC) and to facilitate the guided pathways model.
Location Cypress Creek Hours 40 hours per week as assigned; generally M-F, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with occassional evenings/weekends rotation as required. Salary Supervisor 3/120 ($38,159.00 - $54,513.00) FLSA Status Exempt Reports To Dean or Assistant Dean, Student Services Criminal Background Check Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all Staff and Faculty positions. Pre-employment urinalyses drug screens are also required for all top candidates considered for positions in ACC's College Police department.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- College admissions procedures, programs, and courses.
- Multicultural education programs and systems.
- Student database systems.
- Supervisory principles, practices, and methods.
- Principles associated with student success for an institution of higher learning.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills including working with a diverse student body and local community.
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills.
- Effectively supervising, leading, and delegating tasks and authority.
- Working collaboratively.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work related information and materials.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Maintaining an established work schedule but with the flexibility to work evenings and/or weekends.
- Providing strong, demonstrated leadership and mentoring skills to promote quality customer service among employees supervised.
- Use a variety of spreadsheet, word processing, database, and presentation software.
Required Work Experience
- Two years related work experience including one year supervisory experience.
- Completion of the ACC Supervisor Certificate Series Program will satisfy the supervisory experience required for this position.
Preferred Work Experience
- Experience advising adults in a higher educational setting.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Master's degree in education or related field.
- Work is performed in a standard office or similar environment.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling.
- Occasional lifting of objects up to 10 pounds.
Other Preferred Qualifications
- Spanish-English bilingual skills.
- Experience with student database systems such as CRM (Constitutent Relationship Management) Recruit (a contact mangement system) or Colleague (Ellucian product/Datatel)
- Supervise safe operation of unit. Facilitate safety inspections. Take reasonable and prudent actions to eliminate identified hazards. Ensure employees receive appropriate safety training and foster a workplace safety culture.
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time Faculty and Staffing Table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the College are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short and long term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by Federal law.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Austin Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.