Special Assistant to the Provost
I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
The Special Assistant to the Provost will provide high-level executive support to the Provost. Under the direction of the Provost and reporting to the Chief Administrative and Business Officer, the Special Assistant will support the priorities of the Office of the Provost. Strong interpersonal skills, tact and discretion, excellent customer relations, and experience working with senior leaders will be essential for the successful candidate.
Provides support to the Provost:
• By managing the daily activities of the Provost through coordination, scheduling, and calendar management helping to determine and prioritize which matters need the Provost's attention.
• Coordinate events and meetings for the Provost. Ensure meeting materials, presentations, talking points are prepared or assembled in advance of the meeting or event, and that preparation for all future calendar events are on schedule.
• Participates in events/meetings involving the Provost as required, owning pre-and-post-interactions to ensure successful outcomes and effective communication; Ensure clear action items and follow up after meetings.
• Serves as primary administrative support for all executive searches that fall under the Provost
• Manages the contracts process for the Provost's office, auditing materials for completeness, obtaining signatures on Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs) and agreements, and overseeing the tracking/logging of contracts by other staff.
• Prepares events and issues for the Provost and takes appropriate actions to resolve problems. Reviews matters to be brought to the Provost's attention and prepares background information. Determines matters that require the Provost's immediate attention and delegate other tasks accordingly.
• Handle inquiries/requests made to the Office of the Provost independently within established procedures and/or by asking probing questions, researching issues and gathering data, and using judgment to inform/escalate to the appropriate parties.
• Initiates follow-up actions on behalf of the Provost under the direction of the Provost and the Chief Administrative and Business Officer.
• Prepares Provost's correspondence (including approval of infomails), reports, nominations, recommendations and other materials. Composes substantive correspondence and written material, providing signature-ready work. Manages substantial flow of correspondence, review and edit correspondence prepared by others for the Provost's signature. Assures timely and appropriate responsiveness to internal and external requests
• Track performance management completion within the organization.
Management of the Provost's immediate office:
• Serves as the manager of the Provost's immediate office, including supervision of the administrative team within the office of the provost. Oversees the day-to-day operations of the Provost's immediate office; allocates and directs work to the junior staff and students of the office
• Leads efforts to build connections between administrative offices within the Division of Academic Affairs. Works with administrative support staff in various Academic Affairs units to share best practices, establish new policies and procedures, and collaborate on university priorities.
• Monitor the budget for the Office of the Provost and process invoices for payment and reimbursement
• Provides backup administrative support to the Deputy Provost and Chief Administrative and Business Officer.
• Provides backup support to other Office of the Provost administrative support as required.
• Serves as a representative of the Office of the Provost on various projects and internal committees/ working groups as needed.• Serves as the lead point of contact for all student and parent issues; facilitates resolution in partnership with the Division of Student Affairs and Office of the President as needed. • Acts as a liaison to a broad range of constituents including trustees, faculty, senior staff of the university, students, and parents. • Manages or supports special projects for the Provost and Chief Administrative and Business Officer, such as executive searches and Board of Trustees (BOT) committee meetings. Partners with offices within the university in order to implement key initiatives on behalf of the Office of the Provost.
• Performs other work-related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.Minimum Qualifications:
Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 2 years of relevant professional experience. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
Ideal candidates will have progressive three years of administrative experience working in higher education and/or supporting a senior executive.
High proficiency with MS Office and Google Suite.
Excellent communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills and demonstrated experience in dealing with confidential information.
Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Professional demeanor with a positive disposition and problem solving capabilities.
Able to work independently with the ability to multi-task.
Previous experience supporting high-level executives, to include project management, executive communications, and process improvement.
Previous experience managing other executive administrative staff members.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: Academic Affairs Family Administration Sub-Family Administrative / Operations Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 2 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40+ Work Schedule: Monday through Friday with occasional evenings and weekends Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S006270 Job Open Date: 04/14/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your expected salary range?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter