JB Pendleton Center Los Angeles - PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR
Vacancy ID S2100 Job Title PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR Department JB Pendleton Center Los Angeles School/Parent Organization Communications Parent Org Division Provost and Educational Affairs Division Employment Category Fulltime-Regular Anticipated start date 05/22/2017 If temporary, expected end date Hours per week 37.5 Weeks Per Year 52.2 Normal Start Time 8:30 AM Normal End Time 5:00 PM Position/Job Summary
Coordinate the development and implementation of professional development, experiential education, and credit-based internship program for the Ithaca College Los Angeles Program (ICLA) to include developing and coordinating internship opportunities. Serve as the primary ICLA contact for Ithaca College alumni and representatives of the entertainment and corporate communications industries and non-profit organizations in the development of internship and employment opportunities. Provide guidance to students, area employers, alumni, and faculty in developing strategies for successfully engaging in experiential education. Oversee the application process to the ICLA Program. Serve as a resource and assist students and alumni with their career development and search in Los Angeles.
1. Develop and coordinate the implementation of a comprehensive professional development program that offers students attending the ICLA Program the opportunity to enhance their professional development through internships, programming, and networking opportunities with Ithaca College alumni and industry professionals.
2. Develop strategies for incorporating professional development into the academic and student affairs programming component of the ICLA Program in collaboration with the Program Director, Pendleton Chair, and Programs and Services Coordinator; coordinate the resources available to students and track all internships and other experiential learning opportunities embedded in the school curriculum.
3. Develop and demonstrate a multicultural awareness and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse and respectful College community. Demonstrate civil and inclusive behavior when interacting with staff, faculty, students and visitors to the College. Promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment and engage in educational opportunities to increase awareness and understanding of diversity and inclusion.
4. Serve as the primary contact for internship employers; coordinate the application process for prospective internship employers; research and secure new internships and serve as an information resource for new internship employers. Monitor and stay current with liability and legal issues surrounding internships.
5. Assist students in identifying internships appropriate to their academic and career goals; provide students with information on all available internship opportunities and new and updated listings of internships in Los Angeles. Oversee and maintain the on-line student internship database and the updating of student internship listings.
6. Assist students with the application process for internships; provide support and assistance for students with writing cover letters and resumes and filling out internship applications. Oversee the ICLA and internship application process for Ithaca College students. Coordinate with on-campus offices (Registrar, Financial Services, and Extramural Student Office) in entering and admitting Non-Ithaca College students into the Ithaca College system.
7. Oversee the internal and external internship evaluation process; coordinate and disseminate feedback of student internships from outgoing students and internship employers to internship faculty advisors and incoming students.
8. Build partnerships between ICLA and external communities (industry, public sector, not-for-profit entities), emphasizing development and marketing to expand experiential learning and full-time employment opportunities for Ithaca College graduates.
9. Provide seniors and alumni with assistance and support with career planning and job searching in the Los Angeles area; provide current students and alumni with updated job listings. Maintain ICLA Program student and alumni databases. Serve as a liaison between ICLA and the local Los Angeles-based alumni chapter and the Office of Alumni Affairs and assist in the planning and organization of events and programs.
10. Provide assistance to the Pendleton Chair in the creation of industry-themed alumni panels for Media Industries course. Coordinate and schedule alumni. Create and distribute alumni professional biographies to current students. Track student attendance.
11. Provide assistance in preparing and maintaining program budgets; assist in monitoring, verifying, and reconciling expenditures of budgeted funds.
12. Hire, train, and supervise student office assistants. Assist in coordinating student work schedules. Monitor job performance and authorize student time report forms.
13. Maintain the Pendleton Center supply room and resource room to include ordering, filing and maintaining books, videos, DVDs, and script libraries. Provide assistance to the Program Director and Faculty with the purchasing and updating of supplies and materials.
Bachelor's degree in communications or closely related field and a minimum of two years professional experience in the communications field; experience in effectively mentoring or advising undergraduate students; the ability and initiative to cultivate relationships and build partnerships with external communities; excellent organizational and communication skills; and the ability represent the Park School in a professional and positive manner with various constituencies of the School, College, alumni, and communication professionals. Successful candidates will demonstrate their ability to hold others accountable for high professional standards and for behavior that is supportive of a diverse and inclusive community. A master's degree and/or previous experience in higher education is preferred.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Instructions for submitting your application:
Interested applicants must apply online at http://ithaca.edu/jobs/ and attach a resume, cover letter, and list of three professional references. Questions about online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Screening of applications will begin immediately.
Work authorization (select one): Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position Department description College Description
At Ithaca College, a comprehensive residential campus community of 6,500 students, we strive to be at the forefront of the higher education landscape. Our strategic plan, IC 20/20, positions us to offer a distinct integrative learning experience that makes students ready for the personal, professional, and global challenges of our age.
We seek candidates who embrace integrative learning and want to be a part of this exciting time in Ithaca College history. We encourage creative collaboration and innovation in our faculty and staff, providing support and resources for them to grow in their fields and lead students to their own innovative ideas and achievements.
We welcome different ways of thinking and look for candidates with unique points of view and life experiences. We are inclusive of individuals with a wide range of cultural, personal, and professional backgrounds, talents, and skills. Our campus is a vibrant and rewarding community where diverse minds can learn, succeed, and excel.
When reviewing candidates, we are looking for indicators of a number of core competencies. Prospective candidates must be adaptable, collaborative, inclusive, respectful, responsive, results driven, and sustainable. They must communicate effectively, demonstrate leadership, exhibit professional integrity and ethics, take initiative, value personal and professional development, and show that they will engage in the college.
Nestled in the heart of New York State's scenic Finger Lakes region, Ithaca College sits atop South Hill overlooking picturesque Cayuga Lake and is just minutes away from the city center. Combining small town warmth and charm with the vibrancy of a college community, the thriving and culturally diverse city of Ithaca has been rated by Kiplinger's as one of the top 10 places to live in the United States.
To learn more about Ithaca College, visit us at http://ithaca.edu
Market Hiring Range $46,000 to $51,000 FLSA Status Exempt Is this position eligible for benefits? Yes
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- Reference List
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).