Requisition Number STA - 201000000484
Job Title Campus Planner
The University of North Texas System invites applications for the position of
Campus Planner located on our campus in Denton, TX .
The University - the first four-year public institution of higher education in the city - seeks an individual who will help shape the character of a 21st century, teaching-focused university. Candidates should be able to express enthusiastic support for the mission of the university to transform the lives of students, families and communities by providing high-quality, student-focused education in preparation for tomorrow's careers, and its vision to create the place of choice where students are inspired to learn, faculty are inspired to teach and the community is inspired to support. For more information about the university, go to: http://untdallas.edu/
This position is responsible for the development and management of short and long range campus planning projects for UNT System institutions. This includes the programming of capital improvement projects, managing studies, and obtaining approvals to support project specific needs. Typical capital projects range from $2 million to greater than $50 million. Other responsibilities include: facility space use studies, area plans, land use studies, impact analysis, public/private development, and transportation. Work is performed under the supervision of the Associate Director, Facilities Planning and Development.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for the coordination and project management of professional service providers (Architects/ Planners) retained to develop planning and programming documentation for capital improvement projects.
- Participates in planning meetings, workshops, design charrettes and plan review sessions in collaboration with design and construction project managers to provide guidance to the planning process for capital projects to meet the academic and strategic goals of the UNT System and campuses.
- Interprets and develops planning concepts and provides technical recommendations regarding the development and implementation of planning elements and projects.
- Responsible for developing, managing and updating master plan documents.
- Assists in developing and implementing a master plan design review process.
- Analyzes development impacts, transportation and campus district planning needs.
- Assists in the development of RFQs and participates in the selection and recommendation of professional service providers.
- Produces clear and concise verbal and written reports and presentations at public forums in conjunction with supervisor.
- Works with system, campus, and community officials, consultants, and various committees on complex and sensitive planning issues.
- Provides high quality research and analysis, interprets data, and synthesizes conclusions into recommendations.
- Produces graphics, maps, and other informational materials required for presentations.
- Conducts site analyses, reviews and processes campus plan change requests.
- Participates in the development of short and long range plans and programs for campus improvement and development.
- Coordinates mapping, siting and conceptual design activities in conjunction with preparation of specific and long range development plans.
- Verifies that proposed capital projects are in compliance with System Design Standards and Campus Master Plans.
- Performs other job-related duties as required or assigned by the Associate Director.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's degree in Architecture, Design, or closely related field and four years of progressively relevant capital project planning management experience or any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education which provides the following knowledge, abilities and skills.
- Demonstrated ability to perform project management related tasks including managing professional service (Architects/ Planners) providers and developing and maintaining project schedules and budgets.
- Knowledge of building systems and principles and the ability to constructively review documentation produced by outside professional service providers.
- Knowledge of design, cost, schedule and constructability of proposed capital projects.
- Knowledge of local, state, and national building and life safety codes and regulations, or ability to assimilate within three (3) months.
- Ability to manage multiple assigned projects and client relationships.
- Knowledge of university campus planning and current development.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of campus planning in the areas of urban design, site impact analysis, land use suitability, transportation, and functional planning.
- Ability to research, analyze and develop technical reports and presentations.
- Ability to organize and prioritize time and resources to meet internal and external deadlines.
- Shows initiative and ability to obtain appropriate results with minimum direction.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to work with computer programs to organize, store, manipulate and retrieve text and data.
- Knowledge of safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
- Professional accreditation or working towards accreditation in the field most closely aligned with educational experience
- Experience related to higher education campus planning, design, and/or construction
- Experience with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Project, and PowerPoint
Physical requirements necessary to perform essential job functions
Work requires some muscular exertion and/or physical strain such as standing for long periods of time, recurring bending, or recurring lifting of items weighing up to 25 pounds.
Driving University Vehicle? Yes
Monday - Friday
Substitution of Experience/Education Yes
Start Date 04/04/2017
Ending Date (if temporary)
Special Instructions to Applicants
This position is located in Denton, Texas at the University of North Texas.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Texas Workforce Commission
- HigherEd Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed
- Professional Organization (Specify Below)
- Job Fair
- Current Employee
- Other (Specify Below)
- Please specify source from above
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- * Do you have at least four years of progressively relevant capital project planning management experience or relevant equivalent educational experience?
- * Do you possess a valid Texas Drivers License or the ability to obtain one within 30 days of employment?
- Cover Letter
- Veteran Preference (DD-214)