Union Privilege seeks a creative, results-oriented communications professional with at least three years of experience to serve as its Communications Manager.
The Communications Manager will create and implement strategic communications efforts, develop a wide range of content and outreach materials, work with staff designers and outside agencies and conduct union media outreach.
The successful candidate will be able to work independently on a variety of assignments with minimal supervision, and be comfortable working in a fast-paced, collegial and team-oriented environment.
- Are you a conscientious, innovative self-starter enthusiastic about communications?
- Do you have at least three years of professional experience in a communications or marketing agency or working in the communications department of an advocacy organization with a significant membership base?
- Are you a project management whiz with experience successfully juggling multiple, high priorities and delivering results?
- Can you quickly and effectively develop strong and compelling content?
- Would you like to work for an organization with a strong mission to serve working families?
If so, please apply for this full-time, union position, which is part of a highly-collaborative team focused on integrated communications and marketing success.
1. Responsible for assisting in the development and implementing an integrated annual communications strategy to increase awareness, acceptance and participation of Union Plus benefits, contributing to growth of key programs.
2. Responsible for creating and overseeing development of engaging content, collateral and other assets to support promotion campaigns and core messaging including: press releases, brochures, reports, talking points, speeches, flyers, advertising and advertising campaign concepts and copy, social media content, web site content, and for working with outside writers and agencies, as needed, to produce campaigns and content.
3. Responsible for conducting media outreach and building relationships with communicators at international and large local unions and labor press associations to encourage and secure promotions for Union Plus programs to meet annual placement goals to promote and grow our key programs. Includes monitoring placements and managing development of campaigns to reach communicators (working with the digital team) and other methods of outreach, as deemed appropriate.
4. Responsible for conducting annual assessment of communications strategy, and ensuring quarterly and year end reports of program placement statistics are prepared.
5. Responsible for managing a testimonial program and achieving annual goal for placing success stories in union publications, social media and blogs of members and leaders who have used the programs (2016 goal: 100 testimonials). This includes managing outside writers and photographers and videographers. Also responsible for ensuring stories are placed, that union presidents and liaisons are notified about the featured member and thank you letters and gifts are sent to the member.
6. Responsible for assisting convention team leader in developing annual promotion strategy and plan for union conventions and meetings, including the theme/message, budget, development of materials.
7. Responsible for developing and coordinating annual promotion calendar in conjunction with marketing and social media departments.
8. Responsible for developing presentations and assisting in development of speeches that promote the Union Plus benefits to audiences including senior leaders, local leaders and members.
9. Responsible for annual Union Plus Scholarship winner promotion, including managing outside writers and copy editors to develop press releases and the placements of those releases with the 40 or so national unions and 120 or so local unions with winners. Work with scholarship program manager on union verification and union service department on press release distribution.
10. Responsible for collaborating with the web manager in developing web site press room strategy, managing the press room, uploading materials and ensuring content (press releases, ads, consumer articles, etc.) is current.
11. Responsible for ensuring the communications department's portion of the CRM database, including maintaining and updating data for testimonials and local and international communicators.
12. Responsible for editing and proofreading a variety of material, including brochures, reports, advertisements, articles, etc.
13. Responsible for obtaining purchase orders and coding and submitting bills for approval.
14. Responsible for meeting project deadlines and for regular, accurate reporting of status of projects to Manager or individuals who assigned projects.
15. Responsible for maintaining current knowledge of Union Privilege program information, union program participation and any promotional restrictions that may be in place, including the USPS TIF rule for non-profit mailings.
16. Responsible for other duties as assigned.
1. Previous experience as a communications manager with minimum three years of professional experience in a communications or marketing agency or working in the communications department of an organization with a significant membership base.
2. Experience must include strategic communications planning and media relations. Must have proven experience in producing communications plans, assisting in setting strategy and executing plans with measurable successes in both traditional and new media.
3. Experience with developing communications and advertising campaigns, preferably including work with agencies on creative development and campaign execution.
4. The ability to think strategically and translate organizational goals into integrated communications strategies and tactics.
5. Excellent spoken and written communication skills; excellent grammar and usage; excellent proofreading skills.
6. Demonstrated ability to communicate complex information clearly and concisely so that it is easily understandable to a broad audience in print and digital media (video and radio writing experience a plus).
7. Ability to coordinate and manage projects and demonstrated ability to meet multiple deadlines and produce consistent, high volume of output.
8. Demonstrated proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Adobe Acrobat and photo editing software such as Adobe Creative Cloud/Photoshop (familiarity with design and video editing software a plus).
9. Excellent relationship building skills.
10. Ability to travel, as needed.
11. A Bachelor's degree in communications, public relations, marketing or other related field (Master's a plus).
Compensation and benefits
Salary for this full-time union position is competitive. Union Privilege also provides a very generous benefit package, including fully-paid health coverage, pension and other benefits.
To apply for this position
Applications should include a cover letter, resume, salary history and relevant references. Position finalists will need to provide a portfolio of written materials and produce an assignment and make a presentation to a panel of senior team members.
Please indicate where you learned about the position.
About Union Privilege
Since 1986, Union Privilege has tailored Union Plus programs to serve today's working families in their lives off-the-job. At Union Privilege, we are committed to improving the quality of life of working families through our unique products and services. We achieve our mission through:
• Solidarity: By using the strength of unions and the purchasing power of more than 12 million union members, we can negotiate good programs at competitive prices.
• Savings & Unique Programs: Quality programs and services promote better lifestyles for working families - including wireless discounts, travel discounts, auto insurance, financial services, legal service, hardship assistance plans, and much more.
• Service: Union Plus staff support customers and advocate union members' rights and the best services with Union Plus program providers. Plus our customer tips and resources help union members make informed decisions for themselves and their families.
Thu, 13 Apr 2017 13:04:10 PDT