Biosafety Coordinator I
Biosafety Coordinator IJob Description:
- Performs laboratory inspections in accordance with the requirements of UF policy and federal and state guidance or regulation, including the NIH, CDC, USDA, and State of Florida Depts. of Heath and Agriculture.
- Reviews projects involving biohazards submitted to the Biosafety Office and/or Institutional Biosafety Committee. Conducts risk assessments and makes recommendations for containment and safe practices of research in accordance with the requirements of the NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acids, the CDC/NIH Manual “Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories” (BMBL), USDA, other federal, state, or local requirements, and UF policy.
- Advises and consults with researchers regarding the development and implementation of SOPs and emergency plans for the safe use, storage, transport, and disposal of biohazards including human, animal and plant pathogens, recombinant or synthetic nucleic acids, human and non-human primate material, biological toxins, and exotic or invasive species.
- Provides appropriate training and consultation to the UF community on a variety of topics related to biosafety, including OSHA-based Blood Borne Pathogen training, DOT/IATA based shipping and transport of hazardous materials, and general biosafety training.
- Maintains and utilizes office records for project registration, laboratory compliance, training, and other documentation; assists in the development of training materials or biosafety office policies; conducts other projects as directed by the Biosafety Officer.
- Investigates biosafety-related incidents/accidents and assists with biohazard emergency response as needed.
Salary commensurate with experience and education.Minimum Requirements:
Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and one year of appropriate experience. Appropriate college coursework may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.Preferred Qualifications:
- Professional experience in biosafety management.
- PhD or equivalent terminal degree in a relevant field of study (microbiology, public health, biology, etc).
- Master’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization.
- A bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus two or more years of appropriate experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to interact effectively with diverse groups of people.
- Participation in UF’s medical surveillance program.
- The ability to wear any required PPE, including respiratory protection.
- Possess and maintain a current U.S. driver’s license.
- Pass a pre-hire background check.
- To be considered for this position all applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and list of references.
- This position requires a background check and post offer health assessment.
- Applications must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (EDT) of the posting end date.