Medical Assistant/Health Care Tech III
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine
Medical Assistant (Health Care Technician III)
Position #732644 - Requisition 09153
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking applications for an Education The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking applications for a Medical Assistant / Health Care Technician III. This full-time (1.00 FTE), University Staff (non-classified) position will support a high-risk outpatient Obstetrics Center, managed by the Department of OB-GYN via CU School of Medicine, Department of Ob/Gyn and University Physician's Inc. This role will be responsible for assisting with chart preparation, record requests, blood draws, and the completion of lab forms. This position will also order medical supplies, organize and stock exam rooms, and schedule/check-in patients for the Center. In addition, this MA/Health Care Technician will evaluate basic lab results and assist the Center physicians with certain procedures.
This position will perform reception/administrative duties, such as: faxing reports, answering phones; scheduling patients using the facility's software program; greeting patients and Center visitors; collecting co-pays; communicating and collecting information from referring physicians; securing insurance authorization; and preparing the Center each night for the next day's appointments, this includes pulling and filing charts, ordering and preparing supplies, etc.
Patient referrals for this high-risk outpatient Obstetrics Center are from private obstetrical offices in Denver and the surrounding areas. Primary services include obstetrical ultrasounds, patient counseling and screening, physician support and education, outpatient invasive procedures and performing various research projects.
Examples of Work Performed:
Medical Assistance & Patient Support:
- Assists the physician and/or nurse during procedures.
- Performs blood draws on patients for first and second trimester procedures and at other times as needed by the practice.
- Prepares blood specimens for laboratory analysis.
- Centrifuges blood specimens in order to separate sediment and cells from blood serum.
- Evaluates basic lab results.
- Completes lab forms, provides updates the nurse and/or physician, communicates information to patients, and updates clinic records to reflect lab results.
- Takes patient vitals/pulse rate and blood pressure.
- Prepares treatment rooms for patient examinations.
- Faxes reports and prepares patient charts.
- Creates, modifies and request medicals records and documentation.
- Answers phone, interprets patient needs, and schedules appointments using the Center's software.
- Implements a "patient handout" file, derived from a textbook written by the physician.
- In collaboration with the nurse and physician, coordinates patient care transfers or referrals to another facility.
Administrative Support & Front Desk Coordination:
- Performs reception/administrative duties, including: answers telephones, screening callers, relaying messages, and greeting visitors.
- Acts as a liaison and communicates with referring physician offices in order to confirm patient information.
- Informs patients about the cost of their treatment/care plan and provides them with further informational resources.
- Collects co-pays and insurance authorizations.
- Assists with equipment monitoring and inventory control, including ordering supplies, ensuring supplies are available on a consistent basis, and cleaning and preparing exam rooms.
- Provides secretarial support to clinical staff.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $38,736- $43,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
A high school diploma or GED, and two years of experience working as a Medical Assistant, Nursing Assistant, or in similar role.
Special Necessary Qualifications: A valid and current Medical Assistant or Certified Nursing Certification is required at the time of application.
Substitution: College course work appropriate to the assignment may substitute for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
Conditions of Employment: Must be willing and able to...
- Lift, push, and/or pull up to 20 lbs.
- Work in an environment that may expose you to fumes, chemicals, liquid nitrogen, extreme cold, blood/body fluids, and infectious disease.
- Frequently wash your hands, as biohazardous materials may be present.
- Sit and stand for long periods of time, frequently walk, and bend/stoop, as well as execute repetitive motions.
- Work with complex and sharp laboratory equipment, and various chemical and biological solutions.
- Wear appropriate safety equipment when handling biological samples and hazardous chemicals.
- Two (2) or more years of experience working in medical office setting.
- One (1) or more years of obstetrical experience to include prenatal, high risk obstetrics, labor and delivery or neonatal intensive care experience.
- Experience working with Electronic Medical Records system.
- Experience with blood draws.
- Experience scheduling patients for appointments utilizing electronic software.
- Experience setting up sterile and non-sterile procedure trays and medical procedure rooms.
- Experience completing lab forms.
- Experience managing and handling sensitive and confidential information.
- CPR Certified and/or in the processes of getting certification.
- Experience working with students, staff, and faculty, within a higher education and/or academic medical environment.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of medical chart preparation and set-up.
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology.
- Ability to interpret medical rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills with the ability to establish rapport with persons of diverse backgrounds.
- Must possess a professional demeanor, strong problem solving skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks while working independently with minimal supervision.
- Detail oriented, self-motivated, a fast learner and possess excellent time management, organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to take direction and use independent judgment to coordinate various projects and meet multiple deadlines.
- Knowledge and understanding of HIPAA rules and regulations.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.* REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Christine Hodges at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by April 27, 2017. Those who do not apply by April 27, 2017 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21613 - SOM-OB/GYN MFM
Posting Date: Apr 13, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Christine Hodges
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00732644