Director of IT Application Services (Computer Systems Manager, Level 4 - Provisional)
I.T. Computer Systems Managers manage and direct an Information Technology area at a College or University level. They set policies and procedures, direct technical staff, and maintain responsibility for administrative as well as technical issues within their assigned area(s) of responsibility. They may manage major and/or large, complex information systems activities and/or manage a unit or group.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Managerial Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
Computer Systems Manager
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Under the executive direction of the Vice President and Assistant Vice President of the Information Technology Division, and exercising independent initiative and judgment, the Director of IT Application Services provides vision and management for the planning, development, delivery and maintenance of a variety of information systems and applications. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the management of four employees in the Applications Services group, management of database/data warehouse services, applications (internal, mobile and third party), business intelligence/reporting infrastructure, strategic and operational planning and budgeting, application and data security, and end-to-end integration of web-based software solutions in a high-availability environment.
This hands-on individual will collaborate with other campus divisions and units, including other IT groups to coordinate technology efforts and further the mission of the division and college. The Director is a strategic and key member of the IT leadership team and will be expected to provide expert insight and successfully execute strategic initiatives. The Director will also represent the department and campus on numerous committees and working groups to ensure the requirements and policies of the department are addressed while contributing to the overall success of our students and the institution.
Specific duties include the following:
- Responsible for leading, building, evaluating and training staff in the operations of IT Application Services team; manages a customer-focused team and defines performance goals and evaluations.
- Collaborates in partnership with stakeholders to establish business process requirements, analyze potential new services, prioritize projects, deploy and update systems/tools.
- Works closely with other IT teams to develop procedures, standards, operational controls, processes and communication paths for the monitoring and support of the technology operations, infrastructure and applications.
- Functions as an IT project leader and determines timeframe, cost, delivery, issue resolution, risk mitigation and status communications.
- Oversees development projects, from inception through implementation, to ensure timely and effective completion.
- Builds business intelligence requirements and strategies in support of business analysis functions for the college.
- Manages vendor relationships, including contract negotiation and compliance requirements.
- Monitors new developments and industry best practices to incorporate into operational management and planning for enterprise systems.
- Analyzes current applications and recommends products, architecture strategies, software platforms, database standards and development strategies.
- Measures user satisfaction with existing applications in seeking to improve services.
- Participates in overarching IT governance strategies and leads IT governance groups associated with the provision of information services.
- Ensures scalability and accessibility of applications and services.
- Develops, tracks, and controls the enterprise applications annual operating and capital budgets; develops business case justifications and cost/benefit analyses for IT spending and initiatives.
- Provides institutional custom web application systems and technical support; deploys and supports non-enterprise departmental application systems.
- Supports the Application Security Liaison function for the PeopleSoft ERP environment as it relates to campus users.
- Follows industry best practices relating to the Software Development Lifecycle and similar methodologies, including ITIL and PMP.
Since this function/position has been designated as "essential" the individual is expected to carry a department-provided mobile device and answer critical calls or e-mails within a reasonable time frame including after work hours. Additionally, when the College is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at the College.
- Six (6) years of progressively responsible full-time paid information systems technology experience, at least 18 months of which shall have been in an administrative or managerial capacity in the areas of computer applications programming, systems programming, information systems development, data telecommunications, data base administration or a closely related area.
- Education at an accredited College or University may be substituted for the general information systems technology experience at the rate of one year of college for 6 months of experience up to a maximum of 4 years of college for 2 years of experience. In addition a Master's degree in computer science or a closely related field from an accredited college or university may be substituted for an additional year of the general information systems technology experience. However, all candidates must possess the 18 months of administrative or managerial experience described above.
This title has multiple levels. In addition to the minimum qualifications above, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
A preferred candidate should have:
- Experience in Higher Education or related environment
- Relevant experience including in a leadership/management role
- Recent experience managing and deploying applications in a Oracle environment or similar environment
- Strong familiarity with PeopleTools 9.0 and above and SQL Query development in an Oracle RDBMS instance
- Knowledge of Service Oriented Architectures, API design and implementation, web services, PHP, JQuery, JSON, Oracle DBMS, MS SQL Server or related technologies
- Expertise in the main types of data storage and ability to communicate the tradeoffs behind different options -- file system, relational database, or NoSQL variant
- Successful track record of IT leadership, execution and delivery including experience leading IT application groups in applying innovative IT solutions in support of the business
- Demonstrated experience establishing and deploying a Business Intelligence/Data Analytics initiative and platform; or SQL Integration/Analysis/Reporting services
- Substantial experience in Enterprise Applications and information technology management
- Experience integrating Cloud/SaaS applications in a hybrid environment with Active Directory authentication and managed, automated and secure data interchange
- Knowledge of software life cycle activities in various development methodologies, performing trend analysis, project management framework, and related regulations such as FERPA and HIPAA
- Excellent management, organizational, customer service, and communication (written and oral) skills; interpersonal skills to interact with all levels of employees, vendors and partners
- Demonstrated problem-solver with the ability to cope under pressure and coordinate multiple activities in a dynamic, fast-paced team environment
- Auditing experience in application and database security to ensure compliance with regulations
- Ability to prioritize staff responsibilities based on criticality or business impact
- Self-driven, motivated senior IT leader with strong analytical and problem solving skills, and leadership/good executive presence
- Experience working with multiple units and/or organizations, building relationships, and with highly collaborative projects
- Ability to plan, establish, manage, and evolve academic/administrative client systems and solutions in support of student and institutional success
- Strong project management skills
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, go to www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Lehman College
Job Title: Director of IT Application Services (Computer Systems Manager, Level 4 - Provisional)
Job ID: 16632
Full/Part Time: Full-Time