Online Education Director
Lehman College is seeking a Director for the Office for Online Education. This position will report directly to the Vice Provost for Academic Programs and will act as the College's senior administrator charged with the oversight of all facets of online instruction, from web-enhanced learning experiences to hybrid course development and fully online programming. The College is searching for a seasoned leader who has the experience and know-how to lead a team to develop and launch new programming. The successful candidate will have the administrative expertise to lead the Office for Online Education's further development as a vehicle for student success.
The successful candidate will provide leadership to faculty and administrators about all aspects of online program development and course design, including the innovative use of technology in instruction, faculty development, and the growth of online programs. The Director will demonstrate a deep understanding of learning theories and online pedagogies and their relationship to program development. The Director will collaborate with faculty and administrators on planning based on established best practices; oversee the work of the instructional design and blackboard teams; and manage the development and assessment of online programs and courses in consultation with faculty, program directors and deans.
In addition to the duties enumerated above, the key responsibilities include the following:
- Serve as a resource for the deans, program directors, and departmental chairs to improve the quality of current online offerings according to best established practices.
- Further develop and implement a strategic plan, in consultation with the Vice Provost for Academic Programs that centers on the quality and growth of Lehman's distance learning initiatives.
- Collaborate with the deans and faculty to improve curriculum, instruction, and learning through the use of instructional technology.
- Collaborate with faculty to develop online program and course formats to provide students with seamless and user-friendly online learning environments that facilitate student learning.
- Supervise the Office for Online Education staff and manage the budget.
- Work with faculty and administrators on assessment to ensure the quality of online learning.
- Oversee the instructional design and technology group and the Blackboard Support team.
- Keep pace with new and emerging learning technologies.
- Ensure compliance with New York State certification requirements, Middle States Commission on Higher Education's standards for online and distance learning programs and any state and federal requirements for programming.
- Ensure a full program of faculty development opportunities for online and distance learning.
- Work with the marketing and enrollment management teams to further refine and implement a marketing plan and strategic recruitment plan for online offerings.
- Meet periodically with university-wide committees charged with the development of distance learning.
- Ensure the smooth operation of services for online students.
Bachelor's Degree and eight years' relevant experience required.
- Master's degree, Ph.D., or Ed.D. in Educational Technology, Curriculum and Instruction, Higher Education Administration, Educational Psychology, or related area
- Significant experience in both classroom and online teaching
- Demonstrated commitment to student success
- Experience in online learning program development
- Expertise in curriculum development, instructional design, and online pedagogies
- Proficiency in learning management systems and related technologies
- Managerial and supervisory experience in a university-setting
- Experience in student recruitment for online programs
- Experience in team-building, staff supervision, and budget management
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with diverse constituencies
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Leads College/Unit in efforts to foster, facilitate and support the use of technologies for teaching and learning.
- Leads efforts to support academic departments in high-level instructional technology planning and evaluation of new technologies
- Identifies and communicates best practices for applying instructional technologies to curriculum design and teaching techniques
- Assists faculty in designing and developing applications that address various learning styles
- Identifies training needs in the area of instructional technology, designing and delivering appropriate educational plans for faculty and staff
- Provides professional development opportunities for faculty and staff in understanding and applying instructional technologies
- Provides input to University-wide instructional technology initiatives
- Manages a staff of technology professionals
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: IT Academic Applications Director
Higher Education Officer
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates must attach a resume, cover letter, and three professional references (name, title, organization, and contact information).
For technical issues:
Contact the service desk by email: email@example.com. If you can, provide screenshots. Please do not provide your User Account password; it is not needed to investigate any issue.
For other questions:
For questions about the content of any job posting, please contact the Human Resources department: Recruiting@lehman.cuny.edu
Review of applications will continue until a candidate is identified (revised)
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Lehman College
Job Title: Online Education Director
Job ID: 16645
Full/Part Time: Full-Time