Financial Aid Specialist
The Financial Aid Specialist is responsible for advising and providing financial aid information (Federal and State) to students and their families, and for submitting corrections to the Institutional Student Information Record (ISIR). The individual will be the CUNYfirst representative for all CUNYfirst/PeopleSoft Financial Aid modules, including responsibility for developing and writing queries, and troubleshooting related problems.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Provide on-going comprehensive overall financial aid counseling to students and their families including "Special Circumstances" (income reduction, dependency reclassification, etc.)
- Review, correct, and verify financial aid information (ISIR)
- Develop and create reports for the CUNYfirst system Financial Aid module
- Research and resolve CUNYfirst related problems and conduct CUNYfirst training
- Represent the financial aid office and the college at various meetings both on and off campus.
- Participate in student workshops and orientation
- Assist in the development and implementation of office policies and procedures
- Keep abreast of financial aid regulations, policies, and procedures
- Resolve students' financial aid issues
- Available for evening and weekend coverage as required
A Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience required.
The position of Financial Aid Specialist requires an individual who is client (student) centered with a strong commitment to service. The individual must be a team player with excellent interpersonal, communication (writing and oral), customer service, problem solving, and organizational skills. The individual must be able to work independently, and must have comprehensive knowledge of Federal and New York State financial aid regulations and processes.
- Knowledge of student financial aid (Federal and State) regulations, processes and systems with a minimum of 4 years of full-time work experience in the financial aid office.
- Excellent written & oral communication skills.
- Comprehensive understanding of CUNYFirst or PeopleSoft database structure
- Familiar with web-based navigation and writing reports (PS Query) for relational databases and work with large databases
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Access, Power-point.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Administers and supervises financial aid programs and operations.
- Reviews contracts, disbursements, tuition and fees; validates student eligibility for various programs
- Administers, monitors and troubleshoots CUNY financial aid systems as well as Federal and NY State systems in order to ensure integrity of student databases and timely and accurate delivery of funds
- Assists CUNY staff, applicants, and students/families with advice on financial aid issues and eligibility
- May review and reconcile student payroll processing
- Represents the Financial Aid function at Admissions events; works with academic departments as well as Bursar, Registrar, Admissions and Computing offices to assure staff understand and implement financial aid processes correctly
- Assists in the development and evaluation of Admissions processes
- Prepares documentation, instructions, and materials in various media to support financial aid activities
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Financial Aid Specialist
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a resume and cover letter.
Open until filled with review of resumes to begin on or after April 26, 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: NYC College of Technology
Job Title: Financial Aid Specialist
Job ID: 16595