The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking a Security Officer for Chabot College in Hayward, California.
This is a protective service occupation. Under general supervision, the employee enforces rules and regulations governing the use of college buildings, grounds and other properties of the College and performs some functions that are clerical in nature. The employee has daily and direct contact with staff and college visitors and works outdoors in all types of weather. Errors in decision could result in injury to the users of District facilities.
Job Title Security Officer
Position Type Classified
Position Code 2CSE04
Pay Rate (or Annual Salary) $2,603.75/month
Job Location Chabot College, 25555 Hesperian Blvd., Hayward, CA 94545
Department Safety and Security
1. Patrols campus grounds either on foot or in a security vehicle; responds to emergencies and various calls for service such as lock-outs, automotive emergencies, etc.; takes reports from citizens;
2. Investigates violations, accidents and incidents occurring on campus;
3. Enforces rules and regulations governing the use of college buildings and grounds, issuing citations to violators;
4. Reviews and makes necessary changes on all incident reports written and distributes reports to proper personnel;
5. Performs periodic evaluation of student officers; assists the Security Manager in formulation of policies and procedures relating to Security Services;
6. Assists in the training of officers;
7. Reviews daily logs, reviews actions of complaints against student officers and administers disciplinary action;
8. Reviews and prepares all student time tickets weekly;
9. Prohibits the admittance to college premises of unauthorized persons; checks night meetings to ensure that facilities are being used by authorized persons and that the meetings are under control;
10. Investigates reports of vandalism; performs various types of follow-up investigations;
11. Assists in traffic control at athletic events and special programs;
12. Transports funds from special events; makes reports; keeps the daily log;
13. Performs other related tasks as assigned.
14. Evidence of a sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities.
Minimum Education and Experience
Any combination of the following would provide a typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities.
Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade; AND
One year of experience in law enforcement, plant protection or security.
Possession of a valid California driver’s license.
Possession of a valid California Tear Gas Certificate.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, the 24-hour school security officer course as required by California Education Code 72330.5
1. Security methods and crowd control techniques;
2. Techniques of traffic and parking control;
3. Pertinent Federal, State, City and District laws, rules, regulations and policies including laws of removal and/or arrest, legal rights of students and citizens, judicial procedures and rules of evidence;
4. Investigating procedures;
5. General modern office procedures;
6. Basic legal rights of students; and
7. Emergency procedures.
1. Enforcing pertinent policies, rules and regulations;
2. Remaining alert and exercising sound judgment while under pressure;
3. Interrogating suspects, interviewing complainants and witnesses;
4. Patrolling college facilities and recognizing irregularities with regard to people and
5. Following and giving written and oral directions;
6. Preparing reports and maintaining records;
7. Establishing and maintaining cooperative and effective working relationships with staff; meeting the public with courtesy and tact; and
8. Emergency procedures (first aid, CPR, crowd control, etc.).
Job Work Schedule
24 hours/week, Friday-Sunday, 10:00 p.m. - 6:00 a.m., hours may vary depending on department needs, 12 months/year.
Physical Demands and Working Environment
INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES WHO ARE UNABLE TO CARRY OUT THE PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES OF THE POSITION WILL RECEIVE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS TO ENABLE THEM TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number AS059P
Open Date 04/13/2017
Close Date 05/11/2017
Open Until Filled No
Notification to Applicants
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District reserves the right to close or not fill any advertised position
Instructions for Personal Qualifications Statement
The purpose of the personal qualifications statement is for you to provide information on how your education and experience relate to the requirements and duties of the position. There is no form to complete. Applicants are requested to provide their personal qualifications statement by uploading a document, the same way as you do for your cover letter.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed To Apply
- Cover Letter
- Personal Qualifications Statement
- Other Document
CHABOT-LAS POSITAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER