PART TIME GENETIC COUNSELOR
Duties: This is a part-time (20 hours) Genetic Counselor clinical research position within the Basser Center for BRCA working on a multi-site population-based screening study, as well as other genetics-related research protocols. The Genetic Counselor will be responsible for cancer risk assessment and counseling for individuals enrolled in the study who are found to be at high risk for hereditary cancer syndromes. He/she will work closely with the study's Research Coordinator on the start-up and day-to-day operations, as well to operationalize the protocol. He/she will participate in weekly multi-site calls, reporting on progress and troubleshooting when necessary.
Core responsibilities include:
* Monitor incoming genetic test results and ensure protocol and best practices are being followed.
* Disclose genetic testing results and coordinate participant follow-up as needed.
* Develop mechanism to document communication of test results and referral for follow-up
* Conduct education/outreach to area Primary Care Physician practices and community organizations
* Show vigilance in study participant protection, protocol compliance, and data quality.
Qualifications: Master degree in Genetic Counseling and 2 to 3 years of experience. Board certified or eligible for certification. Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision. The ideal candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills, counseling skills, flexibility, attention to detail, and comfortable working independently. Candidate must be comfortable using phone and email to speak with study participants, research investigators, and physicians at outside institutions.
* Able to analyze appropriate family and risk factor information
* Able to perform post-test counseling for genetic testing
* Assist patient in enacting physician recommendations by coordinating further testing and follow-up
* Effective written and verbal communication skills
Action Oriented; Boss Relationships; Ethics and Values; Integrity and Trust; Interpersonal Savvy; Learning on the Fly; Listening; Organizing; Planning; Priority Setting; Self-Knowledge; Standing Alone; Technical Learning; Time Management
Reference Number: 40-25567
Salary Grade: PT/27
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: CC-Cancer Center
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: Z-Non-Classified Staff/Non-Unionized Job Grades