Requisition # 2017-7370
Department Building Services
Category Maintenance and Custodial Services
Date Posted 4/13/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
As part of the University's Facilities Operations, the staff in Building Services has a daily presence in every building on Princeton campus, and is responsible for cleaning, moving, logistical support of campus events and running the surplus program. Several warehouse complexes for rental equipment, documents storage, surplus items and a few important artifacts are managed by Building Services. We also maintain student laundromats, campus fire extinguishers, and the University waste and recycling stream. Our teams clean over 10,000,000 square feet daily, deliver, setup and take down over 125,000 pieces of rental equipment each year, manage nearly 100,000 square feet of warehouse space, and remove over 5,000 tons of waste and recycling each year.
Reporting to the Director, Building Services, the Janitorial Operations Manager is responsible for a team of 70 plus unionized employees, overseeing all phases of cleaning and event support provided by the Building Services Department to assigned areas (approximately 4,000,000 gross square feet) of the campus.
Planning work assignments, monitoring payroll and use of supplies, setting priorities for staff, planning for effective event/setup support, and inspecting areas of responsibility routinely for both cleanliness and safety are key responsibilities.
The Janitorial Operations Manager will represent the department and/or director at meetings regarding labor issues, facilities standards, or other topics of general interest to the department or University Community.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of five years previous supervisory or management experience in a janitorial environment.
- Ability to manage in a diverse environment, give directions, direct work groups, exercise good judgment, and make effective decisions quickly.
- Highly developed analytical skills.
- Creative and effective problem solver.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communications skills (both verbal and written) in English.
- Must be able to work overtime; weekends, holidays, etc. Will be required to receive and manage emergency calls after regular work hours.
- Must have fundamental knowledge of Microsoft programs such as Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Experience working with a union staff.
- Must be able to frequently lift and maneuver up to 50 pounds and occasionally up to 100 pounds.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Experience in a higher education janitorial environment is preferred.
This position works in an office setting, but also out in the field in varying temperatures. Due to the size of the geographical area of responsibility, the position will require the operations managers to travel throughout the campus from time to time as they visit with staff and customers to address issues. The operations manager will engage in physical duties as the need arises.
All Facilities employees are considered core essential and are expected to be available to work as directed by the department during emergencies and certain campus events.
The final candidate will be required to complete a background check and a post-offer pre-employment physical successfully.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.