Student Affairs Assistant
Salary: $38,340 - $54,348
Title: Student Affairs Assistant
Date Posted: 04/13/2017
Position Information: Provides support and assistance with development, coordination, and implementation of all student registration and student record keeping processes, and activities. Involves records management and follow up with student on problems/issues pertaining to various facets of their academic record. Responsible for final academic record review, clearance and award of degree. Develop and maintain a thorough knowledge of the baccalaureate curriculum, degree requirements, and university regulations/policies and procedures to be able to communicate and interpret verbally and in writing to counsel students and respond to inquiries. Follow and provide information concerning the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and all applicable University and campus regulation regarding the release of student records.
Maintains and updates student records requiring name and social security number changes or processing of death certifications. Works closely and cooperatively with campus-wide offices, units, and departments on a wide range of issues including student enrollment/registration, special programs, and student progress toward degree. Complete the ordering of all diplomas, replacement diplomas and reorders. Ensure all diploma mailing requests are processed. Interact with and provides students, faculty, and all other levels of the University community with interpretation of academic policies, ensuring that office policies, procedures and standards adhere to University, state, and federal regulations. Responsible for maintenance of all archived documents related to student academic records.
The budgeted hourly hiring range for this position is $17.83 - 19.01.
Minimum Requirements: 1. Two (2) years of related experience.
2. Ability to interpret and apply federal, state, and UC regulations pertaining to student records, including the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
3. Skill in effectively analyzing and interpreting policies, practices, and guidelines in an academic environment with strict attention to detail.
4. Ability to effectively, professionally, and tactfully interact and communicate, both orally and in writing, with students, faculty, staff and visitors. Skill in independently composing letters, memos, reports, and other written communication materials using correct spelling, grammar, punctuation, composition, text editing, and proofreading skills.
5. Ability to tactfully handle difficult requests and to offer alternatives.
6. Demonstrated organizational skills and abilities in managing multiple tasks and timelines.
7. Ability to analyze and interpret detailed financial and enrollment records of individual students.
8. Ability to work independently while maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers in a team environment.
9. Ability to maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
10. Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a service environment that is subject to frequent interruptions. Skill in setting priorities that accurately reflects the relative importance of job responsibilities.
11. Demonstrated skill in expressing ideas clearly and convincingly.
12. Demonstrated computer proficiency using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access) or other equivalent software, the internet, e-mail messaging, and web-based software applications.
Preferred Qualifications: 1. Previous experience in a University Registrar's Office.
2. Demonstrated experience using Ellucian's Banner student information system or Degree Works.
3. Demonstrated experience reviewing/analyzing student account transactions.
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities' air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
At UC Riverside we celebrate diversity and are proud of our #12 ranking among the nation for most diverse universities (US News and World Report 2013-2014). Become part of a place that fosters success for all its constituents, students, faculty, and staff, and where work/life balance and campus culture are integral to our way of life.
UCR is ranked 55th among top public universities (US News and World Report 2013-2014).
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview