Prior Learning Credit Coordinator (1082)
This position is responsible for coordinating the university’s portfolio-based prior learning assessment process and instructing UNIV 099 Prior Learning Portfolio. This is a 12-month half-time (.5 FTE) benefits-eligible unclassified professional staff position (20 hours per week).
Essential Job Functions
Instruct UNIV 099 Prior Learning Portfolio (50%)
- Instruct five sections of UNIV 099 Prior Learning Portfolio per year (fall, spring, and summer semesters). Strong distance education instructional skills (content knowledge, course design, and communication) are a critical job function of this position.
- Understand the unique needs of prior learning assessment for adult learners
- Fluency with Blackboard
- Strong experience with course-level assessment of learner outcomes
Recruit/Inform Prospective portfolio CPL students (25%)
- Proactively consult with both newly admitted and prospective adult learners
- Look for effective and affordable opportunities to market portfolio CPL populations in collaboration with the Virtual College
- Assist with promotional and marketing materials and related websites
- Mail promotional items and information about FHSU portfolio CPL as needed
Coordinate the University Portfolio CPL Review Process (25%)
- Coordinate CPL electronic portfolio submission to CPL portfolio assessors
- Process payment requests for assessors and inform students of assessment results
- Recruit FHSU academic departments to participate in portfolio-based CPL.
- Train portfolio CPL assessors in the CPL portfolio review process
- Develop rubrics for CPL assessors in consultation with the Assistant Provost for Academic Programs & Student Success
Minimum Education, Skills and Abilities
- A genuine desire to work with adult learner populations
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited university
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Willingness to travel for appropriate training by national organizations or state-level committees
- Master’s degree from a regionally accredited university
Salary & Benefits: $20,000 per year and corresponding .5 FTE university benefits package.
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills and physical demands required for the position.
To apply, visit the FHSU Human Resource Office webpage at http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/ and click on Employment Opportunities. Only electronic applications submitted through Human Resources will be accepted. Please submit a cover letter speaking to the elements outlined in this announcement, résumé/CV, and contact information for three references by May 12, 2017 for full consideration. The review will continue until an appointment is made.
Please contact Craig Karlin if you have additional questions: (785-628-4222).
About Fort Hays State University:
Forward Thinking. World Ready - Fort Hays State University is a highly entrepreneurial teaching focused institution with major operations on-campus, online and in China. Providing a high-quality education at an affordable price, FHSU is ranked by the Chronicle of Higher Education as one of the top ten fastest growing universities in the U.S. It has an enrollment in excess of 14,000 students (Approximately 5,000 on campus, 3,500 in China, and over 6,000 online) and over 380 full time faculty. Bachelors, masters and professional doctoral degrees are offered through five colleges, the Graduate School, the Honors College, the Virtual College, and various international partnerships. Fort Hays State University's award-winning Virtual College coordinates distance education to the U.S. Armed Services and students in over 20 countries. The Virtual College has received many accolades, including U.S. News & World Report Online Programs rankings, GetEducated.com, Best Buys in Education, among others. Students at FHSU may select a major field of study from 30 departments. FHSU is fully accredited by several national agencies, and is one of six state-assisted institutions of higher education governed by a Board of Regents appointed by the governor of the state of Kansas. The website StateUniversity.com ranked the Fort Hays State campus as the safest in the state of Kansas.
The University has rich sports and cultural programming, all of which enjoy tremendous community support. The Beach/Schmidt Performing Arts Center is home to the Encore Series, which hosts many travelling Broadway shows, the Hays Symphony, university and other national and world-caliber performances. Fort Hays State University athletic events provide NCAA Division II athletic entertainment.
About Hays, Kansas:
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant university community of approximately 22,000, located half way between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays has received numerous recent accolades such as being voted an All-American City, second best city in the state to raise children, and also the third best small college town in America. It is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas – serving a population of nearly 400,000. Hays boasts excellent recreational facilities including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, the Sternberg Museum of Natural History, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, an extensive recreational program, and excellent opportunities for walking, running, and biking. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes providing boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The community has award-winning public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, robust retail outlets, one of the lowest unemployment rates and commute times in the U.S., the city provides a safe, very friendly, low-cost, high-quality living environment.
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.