Newly established laboratory in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at Duke University seeks a motivated Research Technician to, under minimal supervision, perform a wide variety of complex tasks requiring practical understanding of scientific techniques and advanced knowledge of scientific theory for research projects involving cancer metastasis to the bone and regulation of adipogenesis in the bone marrow. The RT will be expected to set up and conduct experiments with appropriate controls, and continue research projects following protocols including the appropriate recording of data and reporting of standard or variant results. The RT will also be expected to assist in general laboratory operation and inventory, and will be in charge of lab supply orders. Must be willing to collaborate with other lab personnel and trainees to accomplish goals and complete projects.
- Under minimal supervision, plan, conduct and evaluate experiments and assays of varying complexity
- Plan and coordinate experiments in conjunction with Principal Investigator (PI)
- Understand and follow experimental protocols (including animal handling and procedures, tissue culture, molecular biology, immunohistochemistry, flow cytometry etc.)
- Record, compile, interpret, and communicate results
- Maintain an organized lab notebook
- Participate in all training on laboratory equipment and the training of others (including hypoxia chamber, qPCR machine, etc.)
- Follow University safety protocols (may include use of combustibles, radioactivity, toxic material, and/or carcinogens)
- Perform calculations involving molarity, % solutions, and serial dilutions
- Prepare, operate and troubleshoot equipment in experimental procedures
- May include centrifuge, pH meter, spectrophotometer, autoclave, scintillation counter, electrophoresis unit, analytical balance, qPCR machine, gel rigs, hypoxia chamber, etc.
- Recommend equipment and supplies needed for research projects
- Read and follow all equipment manuals
- Maintain and repair equipment according to manufacturer and university guidelines
- Ensure laboratory is prepared for experiments
- Order supplies for all laboratory personnel
- Maintain and document lab inventory
- Maintain sterile conditions as required
- Prepare reagents
- Clean equipment
- Assist PI in modifying procedures and techniques
- Recognize problems and suggest solutions, assist in modifications
- Recommend improvements to established techniques and/or protocols
- Maintain personal knowledge of scientific trends through literature reviews, attendance at meetings, conferences and seminars
- Provide appropriate written/oral documentation of experiments
- Prepare research progress reports
- Analyze and summarize test results
- Preparation and oral presentation of data is required
- Assist in the effective operation of the laboratory
- Train other employees
- Supervise projects and/or personnel
This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
691 RESEARCH SPECIALIST
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, genderidentity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, orveteran status.*******************************************************Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a basic science background normally acquired throughhigh school education.
Work requires six years of research experienceOR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.