LAB RESEARCH ANALYST II
LAB RESEARCH ANALYST II
- Collect human tissue, fluid, and blood samples at various sites on the Duke campus. Process samples in accordance with protocols to include freezing, refrigerating, and placing samples in various solutions. Follow the planned schedule and accommodate same-day collection requests as they come in. Data entry related to specimen collection is expected to be completed within one working day of collection. Provide backup as needed in the preparation of the daily specimen collection schedule, which includes review of clinical pathology data. Train other lower level laboratory personnel in these processes.
- Prepare human tissue and fluid specimens for complex procedures. These procedures include (but are not limited to) tissue processing, paraffin embedding, snap freezing, DNA/RNA extraction, and blood fractionation. Troubleshoot in collaboration with other team members and Operations Manager when issues arise. Be knowledgeable of specialized protocols and efficiently and accurately follow SOPs. Enter all data associated with laboratory activities in our database within one working day.
- Collaborate with outside investigators to accommodate their requests for biospecimens and data, as well as in the development of specialized tissue collection/processing protocols. Represent the laboratory in interactions with investigators and other departments.
- Set up, clean, and maintain instruments, equipment, and materials to for biobank operations. Work with senior BRPC members to ensure completion and timeliness of preventive maintenance and/or repairs, and compliance with CAP requirements. Manage and delegate the lab's maintenance and QC/QA schedule. Maintain sufficient inventory of material, supplies, and equipment for performance of duties.
- Field incoming calls and respond to pages immediately. Respond to e-mails in a timely fashion. Carry and respond to the team pager as assigned. Participate in a rotating 24/7 pager schedule.
- Have an in-depth understanding of and follow all biobank SOPs. Be aware of and adhere to all laboratory and patient safety procedures, including universal precautions and personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Additional assignments based on operational need. The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
1215 LAB RESEARCH ANALYST II
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion,sexual orientation, or veteran status.Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology or other directly related scientific field.
Work requires four years of research experience. A related master's degree may substitute for two years of the required experience. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- The skill set that is needed for this position are:
- Tissue Procurement/Handling
- DNA/RNA Extraction and QC
- Working understanding of research regulations and practices is essential.
- Familiarity with various disease states, the laboratory setting, and good clinical practices is a plus.
- Preferred Skills/Experience: Clinical Laboratory Experience, Lab Management
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.