The Consultant for Health Analytics and Care Innovation directs efforts and develops new care models, to make data meaningful, accessible, and actionable; the Consultant will play a key role in catalyzing new population health management programs. This position will interface with care providers and Duke Health leaders, as well as with industry partners to identify and develop opportunities and to execute projects for DIHI. The Consultant will foster collaborations amongst data scientists, statistics/machine learning experts, clinicians/clinical researchers, and software developers to build valuable technology solutions that are scalable both within the Duke clinical enterprise as well as more broadly. This role will help to build capability and capacity (including both personnel and technology) for DIHI to rapidly develop, validate, support deployment and commercialize health care new data science products. The Consultant must maintain contemporary expertise in healthcare delivery, clinical research, data science, to collaborate with and help supervise individuals from a wide array of disciplines. He/she will work closely with the DIHI Program Director to manage existing efforts that rely on the effective use of heath care data and to help set strategic priorities for future opportunities. The Consultant for Health Analytics and Care Innovation will report to the Program Director of DIHI.
Duties and Responsibilities
The position will assist and lead in performing the following functions: Data Science and Analytics Capabilities Development
1. Support DIHI Program Director to manage teams of statisticians, clinical researchers, clinicians, and software developers who have received DIHI support to develop data science products to improve population health programs or health system operations.
2. Regularly interact with leaders from the Duke Health, Duke University academic departments, and industry to identify opportunities to leverage data and technology to improve health care delivery.
3. Work with the DIHI Program Director to set quarterly and annual strategic priorities to maximize the impact and value of innovative data science efforts. Capacity Development and management
4. Manage the development and expansion of student and trainee programs aimed at engaging undergraduate students, graduate students, 3-year MD students and health care professional trainees from across campus in DIHI efforts.
5. Help with recruitment and growth of DIHI analytics and data science full-time staff and work with departments across the health system to build data science capabilities. Tools and internal product development:
6. Develop documentation, software, support tools, and a technology infrastructure to enhance the ability of analysts and operational leaders across the clinical enterprise to effectively and rapidly extract meaning from health care data.
7. Maintain fluency in existing and emerging data science technologies and complete online coursework or independent study to fill in gaps of knowledge as needed to manage and execute innovation projects.
8. Oversee the development of data pipelines that extract and transform large data sets from a variety of sources (e.g., electronic health record, claims, wearable device, publicly available data, etc.) to support machine learning model developmentand deployment.
9. Work with quantitative sciences and clinical faculty to secure internal and external funding for high-impact projects that enhance population health programs and clinical enterprise operations.
10. Work with quantitative sciences and clinical faculty to evaluate predictive models and innovation pilots and help disseminate results through peer-reviewed publications and at academic conferences.
11. Safeguard the integrity and security of institutional data. Knowledge sharing, translation and scaling:
12. Represent DIHI at internal and external conferences and gatherings that bring together experts in population health, machine learning, and data science in health care.
13. As needed, develop written materials and visual presentations to convey and disseminate information to internal and external audiences.
14. Identify opportunities to commercialize the output of innovations validated at Duke and work with the Office of Licensing and Ventures, internal, and external partners to support project leaders during such transitions.
15. As needed, obtain additional training in Epic database structure, medical claims, and clinical research, combining in-classroom and self-directed learning.
Per DHTS position requires BA in related field plus five years experience
2427 CONSULTANT, IT
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Refer to Job Description
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.