NURSE PRACTITIONER - DUKE OUTPATIENT CLINIC
NURSE PRACTITIONER - DUKE OUTPATIENT CLINIC
General Internal Medicine
The Duke Outpatient Clinic (DOC) is the major medicine resident teaching clinic, with 70 residents and 15 faculty. The DOC is a part of the Duke University Hospital, a 954-bed tertiary care teaching hospital offering a broad array of inpatient and ambulatory care services. We are an adult primary care clinic. We are seeking an individual with general medicine and psychiatric experience, excellent communication and clinical skills who can work as an integral member of a multidisciplinary team with a focus on chronic illness and psychiatric co-morbidities.
The DOC Advanced Practice Provider (APP) provides direct patient care services and performs medical care under the supervision of the Internal Medicine and Psychiatry Supervising physicians to the adult patients. The APP performs physical exams, collects and documents data, conducts diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, orders and schedules laboratory studies and professional consultations, prescribes appropriate interventions and medications, coordinates the care of patients, and provides direct patient care services. In addition, the DOC APP may manage a panel of patients with documented psychiatric co-morbidities, including but not limited to depression and substance abuse. The APP will work collaboratively with the 70 medicine residents in co-managing medically complex patients. The APP will have a key role in our Intensive Primary Care program, with providing on site acute medical care for our sickest patients. The opportunity for training for treatment of addiction disorders with suboxone therapy is present. The APP maintains a focus on reducing emergency department visits and hospital readmissions for our patient panel.
Position requires completion of an accredited Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant program, with North Carolina certification and licensure. Must demonstrate and maintain credentialing and licensing requirements of Duke University Medical Center, the North Carolina State Board of Nursing, and /or The North Carolina Medical Board. Master's degree required with a minimum of three years of experience in a community care environment. The successful candidate will possess experience and education needed to move forward with a professional development plan outlining steps toward dual credentialing in medicine and psychiatry.
Primary hours will be Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm, and other hours as needed to support the work of the Duke Outpatient Clinic.
Primary supervising physicians associated with the DOC and the Departments of Medicine and Psychiatry. Will work as a team with this MD and two Case Coordinators. The position includes nursing support.
Specific Job Responsibilities and Standards
- Provide /coordinate clinical practice for chronically ill patients in the out-patient clinic setting with particular attention to care coordination and management of medical and psychiatric co-morbidities.
- Coordinate the activities of the multidisciplinary primary health care team to ensure optimal patient care services, including but not limited to management of many chronic medical and psychiatric illnesses such as Diabetes, COPD, HTN.
- Coordinate and schedule laboratory studies, diagnostic procedures, and services such as labs, home health care, referrals to other clinics; explain the necessity, preparation, nature and anticipated effects of scheduled, diagnostic and therapeutic services to the patient and their family.
- Communicate verbally and in writing all pertinent patient information to supervising MD, nursing staff, case manager, social worker, home health agency, and other relevant healthcare providers.
- Document in the patients' chart all relevant data including but not limited to results of diagnostic tests; laboratory results; patients' condition and response to therapies/interventions; communications with supervising MD.
- Role models competence in advanced practice knowledge and skills.
- Utilizes prescriptive privileges for identified patient population.
- Assess educational needs patients / families and provide patient/family education interventions as indicated. Document all pre and post-op education in pts medical record.
- Develop appropriate teaching tools as needed for patient and family education.
- Utilize appropriate resources within Duke to ensure all patient/family education materials meet required standards.
- Assist in teaching residents regarding complex psychiatric co-morbidities unique to this setting.
- Role model Advanced Clinical Practice through conduct, communication, dress, leadership, ethical decision-making, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Communicate effectively to maintain positive working relationships and achieve desired outcomes.
- Demonstrate responsibility for professional practice through active participation in at least one professional organization, completing continuing education hours/year, and in obtaining and maintaining certification in area of specialization.
- Enhance the body of knowledge of nursing or area of specialization through written publications, oral presentations, posters, continuing education, etc.
- Maintain all professional requirements for licensure, certification, and practice as an Advanced Practice provider at Duke University Medical Center and Hospital.
Customer Service - Demonstrates a commitment to quality service
- Practices good customer service: Seeks patient/visitor interaction, listens actively, and responds to patients/visitors and fellow staff with Courtesy and Respect; practices service recovery when needed (using the "HEART" model, for example).
- Maintains patient confidentiality, gives undivided attention to patients/visitors, never exposes them to inappropriate personal conversations.
- Dresses professionally.
- Understands own role, appreciates what others do, and supports the team through good attendance.
- Helps and supports other team members to address patient concerns, foster team health and safety, solve problems, and accomplish team goals.
- Contributes to a positive team by acting positively...discourages gossip and negative talk.
- Communicates openly and respectfully and helps to resolve conflicts within the team.
- Shares ideas to solve problems.
- Tackles problems and accepts solutions with positive and "can-do" attitude.
- Participates in personal and professional learning opportunities, and supports others when they participate.
- Communicates in a respectful manner with consideration for a person's race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender, age, or position.
- Helps provide a comfortable work environment that is free of harassment.
- Is aware of own biases, does not assume that his/her perspective is the 'right' one, and remains sensitive to cross-cultural differences.
1129 NURSE PRACTITIONER
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. ******************************************************* Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires completion of accredited Nurse Practitioner program. State of North Carolina licensure is also required.
Work requires no previous experience. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.