DATABASE ANALYST (Healthcare Data Analyst)
DATABASE ANALYST (Healthcare Data Analyst)
Anesthesiology-Bus & Sup Svcs
Job Title: DATABASE ANALYST (Healthcare Data Analyst)
Supervised by: Duke Anesthesiology IT Director
As the Duke School of Medicine moves towards its vision of an integrated home for research combined with world class clinical care in a learning and evidence-based academic environment, the Department of Anesthesiology is positioning itself at the heart of these initiatives through the growth of its IT Solutions Team. This position will be part of the IT Solutions Team and report directly to the Department of Anesthesiology Director of IT. The position will be a dedicated partner with the Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology and Critical Care Division and will interact with a young and dedicated group of physicians to support this division in all its cutting-edge population health research activities, including advanced intensive care unit (ICU) informatics infrastructure and systems, to advance patient care and safety.
Data Warehouse Duties:
- Partner with the ETL, BI and QA teams on all projects. As such, will ensure that a consensus among the multidisciplinary clinical workflow users for best practices has been achieved before implementation.
- Review, understand and document the current operational processes and data sources to establish support for current and future reporting requirements, including intelligent solutions integrating data from Electronic Health Record, biomedical devices, and laboratory.
- Develop requirements for data mapping and data loading processes.
- Execute data mapping/loading requirements and reconcilement of such activities.
- Facilitate data entry by healthcare providers (non-automated input) into dedicated research databases (REDCap) to increase the reliability of information in specific circumstances.
- Communicate and document data status/knowledge/issues with clients and other team members.
- Assist in the establishment and maintenance of the metadata management system.
- Identify and enforce data standards to ensure consistent and maintainable application metadata.
- Analyze data in source systems to assess data quality and make recommendations for addressing within the source systems or as part of the ETL process.
- Perform and document data validation, including validation of Electronic Health Record-derived clinical phenotypes.
Data Visualization Duties
- Responsible for providing user access to the data via reports, data extracts and analysis tools
- Gather reporting requirements, design reports and release reports into production
- Develop, maintain and manage advanced reporting, analytics, dashboards
Data Request Fulfillment
- Provide a strong liaison between clinical users, the IT Solutions Team and the biostatisticians, focused on the cardiothoracic anesthesia and critical care workflow.
- Review ad-hoc, research driven, data requests. Query source databases and perform necessary transformations for delivery.
- Interact with members of the Duke Heart Center's Heart IT team to query co-managed databases and systems.
- Define the processes to improve the quality of data (standards).
- Suggest innovative solutions to data questions.
- Communicate and document data status/knowledge/issues with physician-users and other team members, including clinicians and biostatisticians.
- Provide recommendations for all data strategies and out of scope processes.
- Participate with Duke data science groups in developing clinical decision support and predictive analytics tools for the cardiothoracic anesthesia and critically ill patient population, using machine learning and other big data techniques.
Obtain additional Epic certification and proficiency as defined by management through a combination of classroom instruction at Epic (Madison, Wisconsin), self-directed learning, multiple project assignments and competency exams, within defined timeline.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Preferred Qualifications: Work generally requires a bachelor's degree in Medical Informatics, Mathematics, Computer Science, or a computer-related field or the equivalent coursework or technical training. Masters Degree in Informatics preferred. Three years of progressive healthcare data IT experience. The ideal candidate will be certified in Epic Clarity.
Required Qualifications at this LevelEducation/Training:Work generally requires a bachelor's degree in mathematics, computer science, or a computer-related field or the equivalent coursework or technical training.
Experience:Three years of progressive healthcare IT experience.
Skills:Proficiency with SQL, experience with BI/reporting platforms.
Prior experience with Epic Electronic Health Record systems and demonstrated understanding and using of medical terminology (such as HL7, UMLS or SNOMED) in clinical informatics and healthcare research settings are preferred.
Knowledge of HIPAA and other relevant privacy regulations.
Strong communication skills and the ability to build positive working relationships with physician-users, biostatisticians, research and IT staff.
Strong attention to detail.
Excellent customer service and diplomacy skills.
Willingness to address issues and take ownership, knowing when and how to escalate issues.
Sufficiently mobile to go from office to hospital and other sites in our healthcare system.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
2291 DATABASE ANALYST I
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in mathematics, computer science, or a computer-related field or the equivalent coursework or technical training.
Work requires 2 years of progressive programming or database administration experience to include design, implementation, tuning, backup, recovery, modification and reorganization of relational databases for a complex computer network. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.