PUBLIC RELATIONS SPEC, SENIOR
PUBLIC RELATIONS SPEC, SENIOR
Campaign - Communications
Senior Copy Writer and Editor Duke University Development Communications Summary
The senior writer and editor will work with development and university leaders to manage, compose and edit a variety of communications and marketing materials designed to advance Duke University and enhance the university's ability to connect with donors. This position will be responsible for providing persuasive copywriting support for various print and digital collateral as well as major and principal gifts proposals in the $100,000 to multi-million-dollar range. The individual will help guide editorial strategy for all development and marketing communications across a variety of channels and publications.
- Work with the university's academic leaders and senior officers to help communicate their vision and priorities to a donor audience
- With input from senior development leaders, write proposals, white papers and other content to support gift conversations in the $100,000 to multi-million-dollar range
- Write compelling key messages, elevator pitches, advertising copy, video scripts, and other materials to support a variety of complex university initiatives
- Serve as the editor and curator for dukeforward.duke.edu and future development-related web properties
- Provide strategic input into the development of marketing plans for annual and multi-year fundraising campaigns
- Write and edit marketing content and solicitations to support priorities such as the Annual Fund, deferred giving, reunion fundraising and donor stewardship
- Collaborate with development colleagues, schools and units to identify alumni and development stories to promote the benefits and impact of giving to Duke, educate prospective donors about Duke accomplishments and priorities, and promote a positive image of the university
- Edit the writing of colleagues and freelance writers for style, grammar, content and messaging
- Collaborate with graphic designers, web developers, videographers and other writers on a wide range of development marketing and communications efforts
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with other development and communications offices at Duke
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications or a related field and 2 years of relevant writing experience
- Demonstrated excellence in writing, editing and storytelling across a variety of mediums
- Familiarity with AP Style
- Experience developing ideas for articles, ads, brochures, commercials, and other publications and transforming those concepts into promotional copy
- Experience incorporating team and client perspectives to develop unique and engaging content Ability to set schedules and manage deadlines effectively
- Ability to be flexible and work collaboratively
- Familiarity with design and production
- Agency experience preferred
- Experience writing about higher education preferred
Interested Applicants: in addition to your online application, you are encouraged to submit a cover letter, resume and a varied portfolio of at least three writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 7, 2017.
CENTRAL ADMIN MANAGEMENT CTR
1268 PUBLIC RELATIONS SPEC, SENIOR
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion,sexual orientation, or veteran status.Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires the ability to perform creative writing and relatedactivities such as conducting interviews and research, and copy editingnormally acquired through attainment of a bachelor's degree inJournalism, English or a related discipline.
Work requires two years of directly related writing experience.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.