System Identification Number:
Music Education (134350)
College of Music http://music.unt.edu
Job Summary/Basic Function:
Open Rank: Assistant/Associate/Full Professor of Music Education--Choral
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in choral music education, music education research (design, mixed methods, etc.), choral conducting, etc., as assigned by the Chair of the Division of Music Education.
- Mentor master's and doctoral students in music education.
- Other teaching opportunities such as conducting a choral ensemble may be available based on background and interests of the successful applicant in consultation with the Chair of the Division of Music Education.
- Maintain a strong, consistent research program that competes for extramural funding support and contributes to the peer-reviewed discussions of the discipline in national and international publications.
- Recruit outstanding undergraduate and graduate students in music education.
- Potentially organize and supervise the UNT All-State Choral Music Camp in the summer.
- Provide meaningful service to the College, the University, and the music education profession in ways that align with the interests of the successful applicant.
Other duties as assigned.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
- Completed PhD (or equivalent) in Music Education by time of appointment;
- Evidence of an emerging or established record of scholarship, including publications, conference presentations, and other appropriate activity;
- Three years of experience in secondary choral music teaching in a public or private middle school or high school;
- A significant record of successful college teaching experience;
- Experience recruiting and mentoring graduate students;
- A clear research agenda demonstrating expertise;
- Significant scholarly production as evidenced by a substantial record of publication in top-tier national and international research journals and other outlets (books, book chapters, invited papers, etc.);
- A second specialization in music (conducting pedagogy, composition pedagogy, music education for special learners, vernacular music, music technology, world music, music for emerging media, etc. are examples);
- Significant success in extramural grant productivity
Area of Specialty:
Choral Music Education
Non-Tenured Appointment Term:
Open Until Search Closed
Review of Applications Begins:
Required Applicant Documents: