MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIST (CERT)
MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIST (CERT)
STUDENT HEALTH CENTER-ADMINISTRATIVE
Scope of Responsibilities
Perform routine tests in a Duke University laboratory for use in the treatment and diagnosis of disease.
1. Perform routine tests in clinical laboratories for use in the treatment and diagnosis of disease using standard techniques and equipment; perform related duties in laboratory to include storing and labeling specimens and tending automatic equipment to prepare specimens and perform analytical tests. Prepare sterile media and plates, jars ortest tubes for use in growing bacterial cultures; incubate culture for specific timesat prescribed temperatures. 50%
2. Collect blood specimens from patients using venipuncture or heel or finger stick. 30%
3. Prepare solutions, reagents and stains, following standard laboratory formulas and procedures. 15%
4. Maintain detailed records of tests performed and report laboratory test results to appropriate personnel. Clean and sterilize laboratory equipment, glassware and instruments; maintain laboratory supply of chemicals and glassware.
5 The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification.
This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Minimum Qualifications and Work Experience
Bachelor's degree in Medical Technologyor related field.
Certification asa Medical Technologist by a nationally recognized board/agency is required.
Job-Specific Skills and Competencies
- Coordinate and participate in a variety of complex technical tasks to include chemical, microscopic, bacteriologic and other medical laboratory tests and examinations to obtain data for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
- Record determinations and results for review by physician.
- Set up equipment, instruments and apparatus required for specific laboratory tests.
- Obtain specimens from patients as required.
- Operate manual and automatic laboratory equipment to make qualitative and quantitative analyses of specimens.
- Coordinate the preparation of culture media, chemicals, reagents and solutions.
- Ability to identify and evaluate issues in workflow and/or patient service and direct or assist with solutions.
- Proficient in use of software systems, such as EPIC, Microsoft Office, and other systems that are utilized in the operations of the laboratory.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
733 MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIST (CERT)
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion,sexual orientation, or veteran status.Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in Medical Technology or relatedfield. Certification as a Medical Technologist by a nationallyrecognized agency/board is also required.
None required above education/training requirement.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE.
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.