ANALYST, IT, SR - LINUX AUTOMATION ADMINISTRATOR
ANALYST, IT, SR - LINUX AUTOMATION ADMINISTRATOR
Primary responsibility will be implementing and improving upon automation technologies within the Linux environment. Secondary responsibility will be in the implementation, support, and maintenance of servers running Linux operating systems. Work in this position involves leadership in planning and implementing large scale technical projects including enterprise applications, shared services, and staged upgrades of servers. In addition, this position has a senior role in maintaining and securing OIT's overall Linux/Unix server infrastructure that supports services including Enterprise Webhosting, PeopleSoft, SAP, and OIT's Oracle database environment.
DUTIES & WORK PERFORMED:
- Develop and improve upon scripts used to automate provisioning and maintenance of Linux systems.
- Work with various API's to integrate the Linux environment with other software (Splunk, Satellite, Puppet, etc.)
- Collaborate with local application developers to improve systems integration and automation
- Perform OS upgrades and maintenance, patching, and problem resolution for OIT supported Linux and Unix servers.
- Provide Tier 4 technical support including incident resolution and rotational on call responsibilities.
- Prepare documentation pertaining to the systems supported by OIT and organize and present this information in a clear, concise, user-friendly format to the appropriate audience.
- Provide leadership in exploration of new technologies, documenting decisions and integration of new technologies into current environment.
- Provide mentoring for other Linux system administrators within the group.
- Interact with vendor representatives to resolve software and hardware problems and to keep abreast of emerging technologies.
- Design, Deploy and maintain complex scripts (Shell, Python, Ruby, etc.) and tools that allow for automated installs, on demand provisioning and efficient maintenance of supported servers.
- Participate in development of long range planning for new projects and facilities; serve in an advisory capacity to university officials as required.
- Maintain liaison with representatives of other University IT departments and organizations to insure effective communication of needs across any organizational boundaries.
- Ability to work in a team in a demanding, fast-paced environment.
- Highly motivated individual able to drive projects to completion.
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent activities and have a flexible, positive attitude.
- Demonstrated ability to track, organize and prioritize workload.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Must have good planning and organizational skills, strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to provide support in a mission critical, 24x7 system environment.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
Bachelor's degree in Math or computer Science or equivalent experience and course work; and seven years of system administration experience. Specific skills sought include expert knowledge of Linux and advanced experience using command line interfaces and scripting/programming languages (Shell, Python, Java, Ruby, etc.). General knowledge of LDAP is desired. Published technical papers and/or articles a definite plus. Ability to work independently and as a team member, managing multiple assignments in a well-organized manner is important. This position requires significant interface with other technical staff, including team leadership of internal positions and significant communication with technical and non-technical staff outside of OIT-SSI-Systems. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential.
BA or BS in Math or Computer Science or related field and 5-6 years of experience or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
CENTRAL ADMIN MANAGEMENT CTR
2426 ANALYST, IT, SR
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, genderidentity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, orveteran status.*******************************************************Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Refer to Job Description
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.