Center for Muslim Life
Scope of Responsibilities
Serves as the spiritual leader for the Muslim community at Duke University. Works with the Center for Muslim Life, the Division of Student Affairs, and the Religious Life staff to meet and promote the religious needs of Muslim students,scholars, and families.
1. Provides spiritual care to Muslim students, staff, faculty and their families at Duke. Organizes worship, study, and practice as well as conducts and coordinates Jummah prayer. Works with the Center for Muslim Life staff to engage inand develop religious instruction. Offers counseling, advising, and personal support.50%
2. Serves as the chief advocate for the spiritual needs of Duke's Muslim community. Joins the Religious Life staff and the Faith Council to contribute to the University's mission and to collaborate with other faith groups.15%
3. Serves as a resource to the University at large on matters of Islam in its religious and cultural diversities. Works with Center for Muslim Life staff to support student leadership development,civic engagement, and cultural competency training opportunities.15%
4. Cultivates and maintains relationships with Student Affairs units,academic departments, and other university offices as well as community and alumni organizations that support the mission of the Center.10%
5. Other duties as assigned.10%
- Master's degree with Islamic
- Chaplaincy certification
- Two years of experience as a chaplain in a higher education setting
- Computer literacy including Microsoft Office and familiarity with social media
- Ability to work with and meet the needs of a diverse Muslim population at Duke University.
- Ability to work in an inter-religious and ecumenical environment and engage with individuals from a variety of theological/ideological/spiritual perspectives.
- Excellent writing, verbal and interpersonal skills, with a proven ability to work in a team environment.
- Outstanding organizational skills with ability to handle multiple projects/priorities and meet deadlines.
1675 MUSLIM CHAPLAIN
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, genderidentity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, orveteran status.*******************************************************Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Master's degree with Islamic Chaplaincy certification
Two years of experience as a chaplain in a higher education setting
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.