RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II
RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II
Duke Human Vaccine Institute - Admin
The Duke Human Vaccine Institute (DHVI) continues to lead cutting edge vaccine research against infectious diseases that impact global health. Basic science discoveries made using a variety of human and pathogen-derived proteins, designed, expressed and purified by the Saunders lab have contributed to the identification of vaccine and therapeutic candidates currently being produced in Good Manufacturing Practice facilities for early phase clinical trials.
In addition to the protein design and production efforts, the Saunders lab leads the institute's antibody isolation endeavors to characterize adaptive immune responses in rhesus monkeys and humans. This work entails isolating monoclonal antibodies of interest and expressing them in small or large-scale quantities for phenotypic analyses and in vitro uses.
- Perform vaccine research in Dr. Saunders's lab, focusing on production of recombinant antibodies, HIV envelope, and host proteins in eukaryotic cells by transient transfection
- Perform experiments to isolate antibody genes using molecular techniques for characterization of B cell responses to virus infection and vaccination.
- Perform the following experimental activities:
- Plasmid sequence QC for on-going protein production needs
- Large scale antibody, HIV-1 envelope, and host protein production and purification.
- QC recombinant antibodies and HIV-1 envelopes using biochemical and immunological techniques, such as FPLC, SDS-PAGE, Western blots and ELISA
- Fluorescence-activated cell sorting of single B cells from vaccinated macaques.
- PCR amplification of antibody genes.
- Expression of recombinant HIV-1 antibodies by transient transfection.
- HIV-1 envelope and antibody sequence analysis.
- Immunoassays to include (luminex, ELISA, and Western Blots).
- Molecular biology assays such as PCR, site-directed mutagenesis, DNA preparation.
- Conduct computational analysis of large immunoglobulin gene sequence data sets when necessary.
- Understand and comply with all safety standards and procedures to ensure a safe working environment for all laboratory staff.
- Design, execute, analyze, and archive experiments in a manner that is scientifically justifiable, reliable and understandable to others.
- Keep lab equipment, chemicals reagents and supplies in excellent order.
- Perform routine lab maintenance, cleaning, and organizing.
- Track work and compliantly order materials and reagents associated with numerous projects under multiple grants.
- Learn new techniques from colleagues, develop new techniques for the lab, and teach them to others.
- Following the instructions from and report to your supervisor (Dr. Trama) and primary investigator (Dr. Saunders) to review experimental results.
- Collaborate with other staff and perform other duties as requested by the Principal Investigator or senior lab staff.
- Closely follow all standard operating procedures.
Education, Skills, & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in biological science or related field
- Basic skills in laboratory techniques
- Must be punctual and have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must be team oriented and able to work in a highly collaborative and interactive work environment to complete complex tasks
- Must be able to manage multiple and rapidly changing priorities and have ability to quickly learn new skills
- Must be detail-oriented and well organized
951 RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion,sexual orientation, or veteran status. Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology or other science related scientific field.
None required above education/training requirement. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.