College Assistant (Hourly Clerical) - Ongoing Recruitment
- Under supervision, performs miscellaneous clerical, administrative, research or other work related to the operation of a College or other unit where such work is required on a part-time basis or for a period of limited duration.
- There is one Assignment Level for this position. All personnel perform related work. This specification describes typical assignments; related duties may be assigned as
- Maximum tenure for any employee in this hourly position is 1040 hours per year.
- Performs routine clerical work; may answer and attend to telephone calls; maintain records,
operate office machines (such as copier), sort and distribute mail, issue keys and identity cards,
act as messenger, and perform related tasks as required.
- Types letters, memoranda, charts, and similar materials.
- Acts as cashier.
- Assists in statistical or research activities. May collect and compile data, code data for computer entry, perform data entry, and run computer reports.
- Performs clerical library work, such as sorting and shelving books, performing data entry into library systems, or binding books and periodicals.
- Assists in instructional programs, including tutoring and assisting students in areas such as reading and mathematics. May assist in speech and hearing therapy, provide musical accompaniment, and/or distribute and collect physical education equipment.
- Enters and maintains departmental records such as inventory control records, rosters, directories, and schedules.
- May operate computers, computer software, and other electronic equipment in performing assigned tasks.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The College of Staten Island (CSI) is a City University of New York (CUNY) senior College organized around two academic divisions and three schools, with over 20,000 students including CSI Continuing Studies. CSI offers a broad range of academic programs in the liberal arts and sciences, and in several professional areas. The College awards associate's, bachelor's, master's and clinical doctoral degrees, and in collaboration with The CUNY Graduate Center, numerous Ph.D. degrees. CSI's internationally recognized faculty passionately engage in scholarly and artistic activities, and together with a strong professional staff, lead students through transformational learning experiences both inside and outside of the classroom. The College is situated on a 204-acre site, has recently incorporated a residential component, and is currently engaging in capital expansion. It is a hub of intellectual and artistic activity and a community partner and source of economic impact and job creation for the greater Staten Island area.
This posting is open to collect resumes for our ongoing College Assistant recruitment. Applicants should upload their resumes, but be informed that they will only be notified if and when a part-time position becomes available that a Hiring Manager is interested in interviewing them.
Responsibilities: (Clerical/General Admin.)
- Greets diverse customers, visitors, and others in a professional manner; screens visitors and phone calls as directed; refers people to appropriate staff or to other offices as appropriate; takes accurate and complete messages; forwards messages in a timely manner; maintains bulletin boards/displays, office literature and computer area.
- Responds to routine questions and requests from clients and staff; distributes forms and applications; may review returned documents for completeness; clarifies requests; provides prompt service; explains need for any delays or additional information; keeps visitors, clients and staff informed of progress; returns calls as appropriate.
- Uses standard computer software and other office technology to input, format and transcribe documents; makes photocopies and sends faxes; may inputs and formats spreadsheets.
- Maintains paper and/or electronic files using established procedures; retrieves files as requested.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- Must demonstrate sufficient skills to perform the duties of the assigned tasks.
Preferred Qualifications include:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Excellent Customer Service, Communication and Organizational skills.
- Ability to take initiative when necessary and willingness to learn.
- Strong computer skills (MS Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint) highly desired.
- Flexible with availability.
New Hire: $12.00/hr
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please visit http://cuny.jobs/ and enter the Job ID# in the "What" section field. Candidates must attach a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references (Professional or Personal) as one file.
Open Until Filled - Ongoing Recruitment
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: College of Staten Island
Job Title: College Assistant (Hourly Clerical) - Ongoing Recruitment
Job ID: 16617
Full/Part Time: Part-Time