Working Title: Apprentice Tradesman
Type of Employment: Staff
Department: Student Development and Leadership
Division: Student Affairs
Proposed Salary Range: $17,957.00
Position Summary: The Apprentice Tradesman assists a certified or licensed skilled tradesman in all phases of work associated with a particular trade and is responsible for learning the duties in an apprentice training program. This position is governed by state and federal laws and agency/institution policy.
- Provides assistance and trains in an apprenticeship program, under the supervision of a skilled tradesman, in a variety of skilled trades duties.
- May provide assistance and train in the installation of electrical wiring, electrical fixtures, and computer cable lines.
- May provide assistance and train in the assembly, installation, and repairing of air, gas, water, and waste disposal systems, according to specifications and plumbing codes.
- May provide assistance and train in all areas of carpentry.
- May provide assistance and train using different welding equipment, acetylene gas, and electrical arc welding on needed repairs.
- May provide assistance and train in servicing, rebuilding, and/or installation of automobile and diesel engines and transmissions.
- May provide assistance and train in masonry duties, such as concrete mixing and bricklaying.
- May provide assistance and train in a variety of interior and exterior painting tasks.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
General Days/Hours: Monday-Friday; 7 a.m.-4 p.m.
Knowledge/Skills/Ability: Knowledge of basic measuring tools, equipment, and materials used in the various skilled trades. Ability to perform manual labor under various working conditions. Ability to use hand and power tools in various working conditions. Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions. Ability to communicate information and ideas in various environments. Skill in the use, operation, and care of tools and machinery.
Minimum Qualifications: Completion of sufficient education or training to read and write. OTHER JOB RELATED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE MAY BE SUBSTITUTED FOR ALL OR PART OF THESE BASIC REQUIREMENTS, EXCEPT FOR CERTIFICATION OR LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS, UPON APPROVAL OF THE QUALIFICATIONS REVIEW COMMITTEE.
Arkansas State University is a public, multi-campus higher education system with enrollment in excess of 22,000 students. Approximately 14,000 students attend the Jonesboro campus where the student body is diverse. The campus has a renewed focus on international student recruitment and capital campaign development. Jonesboro has a population of approximately 67,000 and is located 70 miles northwest of Memphis (www.jonesborochamber.org).
EEO Statement: It is the policy of Arkansas State University to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons; to prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, age, disability, genetic information, national origin, status as a veteran or other status protected by law; and to promote the full realization of equal employment opportunity through a positive continuing program of affirmative action.