IT Integration Specialist - Department of Mathematics (A1700222)
IT Integration Specialist
Department of Mathematics
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
The Department of Mathematics at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks applicants for the position of IT Integration Specialist. This position develops and integrates technology services for the Department of Mathematics for academic, research, and administrative employees in a team environment.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
• Lead e-learning integration initiatives in the department.
- Work alongside of faculty to create custom integrations with e-learning tools such as Moodle and WebAssign.
- Identify and eliminate administrative workflow inefficiencies of course scheduling, teaching and assessment.
- Advise faculty on adopting software solutions in face-to-face and online courses.
- Engage with ATLAS and Technology Services to ensure that all appropriate software services are available to Mathematics faculty, staff, and students.
• Work directly with departmental staff to plan, research, procure, and install computing hardware and software, as well as provide troubleshooting services and maintenance for all computer systems.
• Provide technical support for the Linux, Macintosh, and Windows systems used by faculty, staff, students, and classrooms.
• Troubleshoot all technological issues with computers, printers, multi-function copiers, application software, and system software.
• Maintain and troubleshoot hardware in research experimental use that interacts and integrates with supported computer systems.
• Assist research groups with specific research computing needs, including data security and specialized software.
• Interact with sensitive, unpublished, or copyrighted research data in accordance within proper university intellectual property protocols, work with other university research groups to ensure compliance with research and IRB regulations.
• Communicate and enforce standards for use, and security of networks, computers, and data.
• Work with a team to accomplish IT projects or initiatives.
• Work evening and weekend hours as needed.
• Bachelor's degree in computer science, electrical engineering, mathematics, physics, or a related field.
• 3 years of experience in technical support.
• Knowledge of current Linux, Windows and Macintosh operating systems.
• Knowledge of security concepts like access control, authentication, and authorization.
• Independent problem solving skills and an ability to fully diagnose and troubleshoot technical issues.
• Ability to learn new tools and techniques to integrate new technology.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including written and spoken communication.
• Self-motivated and able to work and prioritize without supervision on daily tasks and Projects.
• Five or more years of system administration experience, including face-to-face end-user support.
• Experience with academic computing facilities.
• Experience with system administration tools and processes such as Ansible.
• Experience with deploying services in AWS, Azure, or GCP.
• Experience in managing software distribution on Linux, Mac, and Windows systems.
• Experience with applications commonly used in the Department such as TeX, Matlab or Mathematica.
• High degree of skill with UNIX/Linux operating system, commands and utilities.
• Ability to write scripts in administrative languages (Bash, Powershell).
The IT Integration Specialist position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. Eligibility for the benefits are contingent on your citizenship or work authorization. For full details on eligibility requirements, please reference http://www.ahr.illinois.edu/employees/current/other.html#Benefits. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three professional references by April 26, 2017. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Caitie Bruning, firstname.lastname@example.org, 217-244-7693.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
Organization Name: Mathematics
College Name or Administrative Unit: Liberal Arts and Sciences
Category: Academic Professional
Open Date: 04/12/2017
Close Date: 04/26/2017