College of Liberal Arts and Sciences: Lecturer/Instructor - Astronomy (F1700034)
Department of Astronomy
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Astronomy Department at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign invites applications for a full-time, non-tenure track Lecturer/Instructor for the 2017-18 academic year.
The essential job functions of the position are:
- Teach three (3) introductory-level astronomy courses per semester.
- Teaching load may include online courses.
- Conduct evening astronomical observing sessions at the Campus Observatory.
- Provides classroom instruction in accordance with the stated philosophy, objectives, and established course outlines of the University.
- Informs students of course regulations, evaluation procedures, and other information pertinent to the course; prepares a course syllabus for each course and distributes it early in each term.
- Maintains regular office hours to ensure availability for student consultation; provides assistance to students in a timely manner.
- Maintains accurate scholastic records of students; submits required reports on student progress according to published deadlines.
Candidates are required to hold a Ph.D. or Master's degree in Astronomy or a closely related field.
- Candidates with a Ph.D. by the time of appointment will be considered as a Lecturer.
- Candidates who are ABD or hold a Master's degree will be considered as an Instructor.
- Previous teaching experience at the college level.
- Previous experience with learning management systems (e.g., Blackboard, Moodle, etc.).
- Experience with a variety of teaching methods and/or curricular perspectives.
- Demonstrated success in working with diverse populations of students.
Salary and Appointment Information:
This is a full-time, 9-month appointment, non-tenure track position, renewable yearly subject to enrollments, funding, and positive performance evaluations.
The expected start date is August 16, 2017. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Application Procedures and Deadline Information:
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your application letter, curriculum vitae, and statement of teaching interest by May 10, 2017. Online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three professional references. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Judy Whittington at email@example.com.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
Organization Name: Astronomy
College Name or Administrative Unit: College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Category: Faculty and Other Academic
Open Date: 04/12/2017
Close Date: 05/10/2017