Emergency Medical Technician (Paramedic)
Emergency Medical Technician (Paramedic)-1700967
At Stony Brook Medicine, our Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedics possess extensive knowledge, skills, training and experience in the management of patients in the out-of-hospital setting; expert in the stabilization and transportation of patients to and between medical facilities by ground or air.
Duties of an Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic may include the following but are not limited to:
- Clinical duties include: patient assessment; peripheral and central IV insertion; specimen collection; use of pneumatic shock garments; administration of medications; endotracheal intubations including rapid sequence intubation; administration of oxygen and medical gases via appropriate devices including transport ventilators; EKG monitoring; 12 lead acquirement; defibrillation; cardioversion; spinal immobilization; chest decompression; cricothyroidotomy, trans-tracheal insufflation; monitoring of invasive vital signs; and other medical procedures.
- Certified in BCLS (Basic Cardiac Life Support), ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support), PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support), NRP (Neonatal Resuscitation Program, and IABP (Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump).
- Responsible for advanced life support radio operation; takes pertinent information from out-of-hospital medical providers and relays medical orders; maintains computer database on ambulance calls and assists in analyzing all aspects of out-of-hospital care;
- Maintains equipment and medical supplies; operates the ambulance; coordinates transportation
- Provides direct patient care aboard Suffolk County Police Medevac Helicopter
- Precepts students in the clinical setting; orients new students;
- Provides administrative support to the Emergency Services Coordinator
- May supervise Emergency Medical Technicians.
Required Qualifications: New York State Health Department certification as an Emergency Medical Technician- Paramedic and the appropriate New York State driver’s license for the type of vehicle to be operated.
Preferred Qualifications: One or more of the following certifications: Basic Life Support (BLS), Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS), Basic Trauma Life Support (BTLS), Pre Hospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS), Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS), Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP), Neonatal Advanced Life Support (NALS), National Registry.
Special Notes: Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
This function/position has been designated as “essential.” This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AThttp://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Official Job Title: EMT - Paramedic
Job Field: Paramedic
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Emergency Medical Services-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Full-time Evening Shift 3PM-11:30PMEmergency Medical Services-Stony Brook University Hospital
Posting Start Date: Apr 7, 2017
Posting End Date: Apr 21, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Salary: As per civil service guidelines
Salary Grade: SG14