GENERAL LEDGER ACCOUNTANT
JOB NO.: 90254-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Department: BUS SVC/ACCOUNTING
Categories: Accounting, Finance, Purchasing
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 90254-AS
Working Title: General Ledger Accountant
Official Title: ACCOUNTANT(R10DN) or ASSOC ACCOUNTANT(R10FN)
Hiring Department: A030500-BUSINESS SERVICES/ACCOUNTING
Anticipated Begin Date: JUNE 01, 2017
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Advertised Salary: Negotiable
ANNUAL (12 months)
Degree and Area of Specialization: Bachelor's Degree in Accounting preferred.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience: 1. Ability to establish and maintain productive working relationships with management and staff at all levels, as well as other offices and divisions/departments.
2. Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and government financial reporting principals and standards.
3. Knowledge of the Office of Management and Budget federal grant accounting and reporting requirements.
4. Knowledge of computer applications, automated accounting systems, and general financial applications.
5. Ability to interpret and analyze financial data.
6. Good oral and written communications skills.
7. Advanced skills using Microsoft Excel.
Position Summary: Under the general supervision of the UW-Madison Director of Financial Reporting, Analysis and Systems, the associate accountant position will play an important role managing general ledger activities for a wide-range of financial activities for the University of Wisconsin-Madison Accounting Services department. Financial information is captured in the UW System Shared Financial System (SFS) and related subsidiary ledgers. End users access this information via the Wisconsin Integrated Data Mart (WISDM) and through the use of SQL query tools. These data sources are also used to prepare UW Madison and UW System Annual Financial Reports and the State of Wisconsin Consolidated Annual Financial Report (CAFR). In addition to the above, this position will also be intimately involved in reconciling data in these data sources and actively involved in periodic and year-end financial reporting related activities.
This position requires knowledge and application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Familiarity with University funding sources is a plus along with exposure to federal, state and UW System and Madison policies, procedures and guidelines. A commitment towards excellence combined with professional passion, drive and balance are important to the success of the Accounting Services team.
Contact: Meghna Shah
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number (See RELAY_SERVICE for further information. )
Instructions to applicants: To be considered for this position, upload a cover letter and resume.
In your cover letter, please include your work experience related to the following:
- Analyzing and interpreting financial data.
- Performing complex account reconciliation.
- Creating, posting, and editing journal entries in a large, complex accounting system.
- Reviewing journal entries for legitimacy and appropriateness of funding and approvals.
- Developing accounting practices and/or procedures
- Providing guidance and accounting expertise to non-financial customers.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: 12 Apr 2017 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: 11 May 2017 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time