Staff Writer, Student Retention
The staff writer for student retention writes and edits compelling copy for a wide variety of student-focused communications that support MSU Denver’s strategic plan. These communications include an email newsletter, feature stories, magazine articles, student blog posts, webpages, social media posts and marketing collateral, among others. The staff writer helps tell the MSU Denver story by contributing innovative ideas, researching topics, and crafting unique, engaging copy to advance the University’s brand initiatives and objectives. In addition, the writer edits copy for accuracy, effectiveness and Associated Press style.
Metropolitan State University of Denver is an equal opportunity employer.
Staff Writer, Student Retention
Salary for Announcement
The hiring salary range begins at $48,931. The final salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Marketing and Communications
Full Time Administrators
60% Content strategy, development and creation
• Creates compelling content for student communications in support of University retention goals through a variety of channels, including newsletters, features, brochures, webpages, social media posts and marketing collateral.
• Develops strategy and content for outreach efforts to a diverse student audience that includes traditional and nontraditional students and those from underserved populations.
• Maintains and grows story pipeline by engaging people from across the University, including students, faculty, staff and the administration, specifically within assigned story beat.
• Develops, writes and edits stories for the ’Runner (students e-newsletter), Insider (newsroom) and Early Bird (internal newsletter) in a deadline-driven, results-oriented environment.
• If bilingual in Spanish (able to read, write and speak Spanish proficiently as well as cultural awareness), the writer will also write specific Spanish language communications for students, potential students, parents, and external audiences for print and electronic materials.
• Coordinates multiple projects simultaneously with minimal supervision, adhering to priorities and meeting deadlines.
• Works with marketing and communications team to select or gather appropriate, engaging images for each piece of content.
20% Content distribution
• Collaborates with the managing editor and senior content strategist to ensure the timely delivery and distribution of content across multiple channels.
• Writes or repurposes content for the web and/or social media.
• Oversees an intern who builds and manages the ’Runner student newsletter.
• Ensures that the ’Runner student newsletter gets out on time with pertinent content and no errors.
15% Approvals, editing and revision percent
• Collaborates with clients to ensure stories are approved and signed off before posting to various channels.
• Works with managing editor to implement revisions to stories and facilitate smooth approval process.
• Edits copy using AP style, both the writer’s own stories and the work of others.
5% Other duties as assigned
• Edit copy for additional marketing communications projects.
• Participate in brainstorm sessions for marketing projects.
• Cover for team members who are out of the office.
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, public relations, English or a closely related field.
• A minimum of two years of professional experience writing stories and other types of content across a variety of communications channels, including print, digital and social media.
• A minimum of two years of professional experience in the communications or journalism field.
•Working professional knowledge of Associated Press style as demonstrated by cover letter, resume, writing sample and answer to supplemental question.
•Five or more years of professional experience writing stories and other types of content across a variety of communications channels, including print, digital and social media.
• Four or more years of professional experience in the communications or journalism field.
• Three or more years of experience working as a communications specialist in higher education.
• One or more years of experience working specifically on student-focused communications.
• Demonstrated ability to write under tight deadlines and in a fast-paced environment.
• Experience organizing or managing multiple projects simultaneously.
• Bilingual in Spanish: able to read, write and speak Spanish proficiently as well as cultural awareness to produce nuanced Spanish language communications for students, potential students, parents, and external audiences.
• Experience working as part of a large, diverse team.
• Experience creating content for social media platforms.
• Ability to edit photos/images to engage readers also a plus.
Close on Closing Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
IMPORTANT: In order to be considered as an applicant you must apply via the online application system, www.msudenverjobs.com.
References refers to a list of three professional references and their contact information.
Please submit a writing sample that demonstrates your creativity and versatility. Please include at least three different stories/pieces of content.
If for some reason, you cannot upload your sample into the MSU Jobs system, send it directly to Dan Vaccaro, senior content strategist/news director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Official transcripts will be requir3ed of the candidate selected for hire.
This posting will close at midnight MST on the closing date.