Research Compliance Administrator
The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) supports the University community in their pursuit of research and the management of externally sponsored programs. ORSP is the key point of contact for faculty in the area of sponsored research and other sponsored programs, as well as, research conduct and compliance.
The Research Compliance Administrator has the primary responsibility for providing subject matter expertise in the review of human research applications primarily in the area of social and behavioral research. This position will be part of a team working to create a culture of compliance at the University of Denver (DU) ensuring compliance with all federal, state and local regulations, policies and guidelines to create a successful research compliance program. This will be accomplished by serving as a designated reviewer (reviewing exempt and expedited items on behalf of the IRB Chair); advising researchers about human subjects protection issues; conducting training programs for staff, researchers, administrators and students. The successful candidate will bring to DU a strong background in research administration, including broad knowledge of compliance regulations. S/he will have outstanding interpersonal and management skills, a collaborative style, and experience working with faculty, staff, and students in achieving their research goals.
- Coordinate research compliance matters for the Institutional Review Board for Human Subjects.
- Conduct regulatory reviews on IRB submissions designated by the IRB Chair and/or Research Compliance Director.
- Advise the research community about human subjects, protection issues, and institutional policy.
- Train the IRB and research community.
- Assist in the management of the Electronic Management System, IRBNet; maintaining the database to track all active, pending, and terminated protocols/proposals.
- Attend IRB committee meetings, contributes to the development of meeting minutes, and issues correspondence.
- Assist with special projects to address current and anticipated needs of the University's compliance program requirements.
- Provide backup for other Research Compliance positions, as needed.
- Conduct other human research protection program responsibilities as needed in order to address compliance issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong customer service and communication skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with a diverse population.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to uphold ethical practices amid complicated situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and orally, with principal investigators, sponsoring agencies, management, and others.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical and algebraic functions, ability to review and analyze research protocols, and manage data and generate reports.
- Demonstrated training skills using various media.
- Ability to utilize skills in problem solving and ability to consider multiple alternatives.
- Ability to make appropriate decisions independently.
- Evidence of self-motivation and ability to work independently and within a team, building professional work relationships with coworkers, faculty and staff.
- Ability to multi-task effectively and to take initiative and identify, prioritize, and plan tasks and projects necessary to meet goals.
- A commitment to professional development and ability to travel to local, national, and regional meetings for training, updates, and networking.
- Bachelor's degree.
- 3-5 years of experience in scientific research experience or in research compliance administration.
- Knowledge and practical application of regulations related to protection of human subjects (IRB).
- Advanced degree in scientific research discipline.
- IRB Professional Certification.
- 5 years IRB related experience in research compliance.
- Experience using IRBNet electronic protocol system.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by Wednesday, April 26, 2017.
Candidates must apply online through du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please click New Resume/CV at the bottom of the page to begin application.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LBGT community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.