Status: Exempt, full-time position. Schedule consistent with the academic year (10 months)
Reports To: Director of Student Counseling
Overview: The student counselor works collaboratively with other members of the counselling services team to provide a full range of counseling services. Typical service offerings include individual and group counseling, pyscho educational programs, and faculty and staff consultation. The Augustana student body is a diverse set of high achieving students with increasing representation from multicultural, international, and non-gender conforming students.
- Meet with individual students to provide counseling for a wide variety of needs during assigned office hours. Work with students to resolve issues, involving others on campus as needed.
- Plan, conduct and evaluate psycho-educational group presentations as needed and requested. Revise offerings to fit the needs of the campus community.
- Document student meetings within the established protocols of the office.
- As appropriate and requested, consult with members of the faculty and other campus community members regarding students concerns.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the Augustana counseling staff to integrate efforts and create program success. Assist other staff members with activities as need to reach the overall goals of the Augustana counseling department.
- Serve as a confidential reporting resource for survivors of sexual assault or other crimes.
- Attend division wide meetings to understand and support the efforts of others within the student services division.
- Serve on task forces, committees, or other campus organizations as needed to further the goals of the department.
- Other duties as assigned
Skills & Experience:
- 3-5 years’ experience in individual or group treatment with a college aged population
- Experience in programming and consultation with a varied client base similar to our campus constituency. Experience with multicultural, international, and first generation students highly preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Working knowledge of computer software applications
- The ability to relate to a diverse group of students and campus community members with sensitivity and competency.
Education: Graduate degree in counseling, psychology or social work. Licensed or license eligible to practice in the State of Illinois
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Must be able to lift 15 pounds on a frequent basis. Also required is the ability to listen, hear, speak, read, and write. Must be able to use a computer to accomplish a variety of job tasks.
Expected hours of work:
Academic Year: 40+ hours per week. Work hours are often dictated by student need, and evening work will be required in times of high student load, or emergencies or crises with a student client.
Academic Breaks & Summer: Regular hours are not observed. Typically would be time off except for emergency situations.
Little to no travel is expected for this position.
Apply for Student Counselor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly