Requisition # 2017-7363
Department Mason Shop
Category Maintenance and Custodial Services
Date Posted 4/11/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
As a member of the Grounds Building Maintenance department, the Mason Helper provides helper level assistance in support of the Mason Shop. The Helper must adhere to all University safety rules and regulations while performing job duties.
- Assist other trades workers as helper, may be assigned to other shops occasionally as a helper/laborer.
- Perform other duties as assigned including overtime and emergency call in work.
- Assist in material handling and delivering of materials and clean up of completed project.
- Keep vehicles and job sites in a clean and professional condition.
- During snow emergencies, the helper is a “Critical Employee” required to augment the Grounds Department in the removal of snow and the de-icing of walks and steps.
Note: This position does not directly offer promotion to a higher level. However, there may occasionally be higher level position vacancies for which a person with higher level qualifications may apply and be considered in the normal interview and selection process.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must have a high school diploma or possess a GED.
- Knowledge of mortar mixing rations and erecting scaffolding.
- Must be able to properly and safely use the tools of the trade and safely carry out all assigned tasks
- Must be able to assist tradesperson as helper to make repairs, help with new construction and alterations.
- Must be capable of carrying step ladders up or down several flights of stairs and be capable of working off step and extension ladders.
- Must have a baseline level computer literacy or the ability to learn computer basics.
- Must be capable of working with others on a team, yet be able to take on responsibility and function independently.
- Must be an organized, self-starter who is capable of working extended periods independently.
- Must be able to read and interpret basic drawings and keep maintenance records.
- Must have an excellent ability to work with other trades personnel and customers.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The following tasks and skills that would be necessary for any person to fulfill while working in any of the job classifications within the Mason Shop of the Grounds & Building Maintenance Department:
- stand or walk up to 2 hours at one time, up to 8 hours per day;
- sit for less than 2 hours during an 8 hour day;
- operates motor vehicles or heavy equipment (e.g., forklift, high reach, cherry picker) occasionally (less than 33% of the workday)
- lift or carry up to 35 pounds frequently (34 - 66% of the workday) and 100 pounds occasionally (less than 33% of the workday);
- lift up to 100 pounds to waist height and up to 35 pounds in a range of motions from floor to overhead:
- frequently use hands for simple grasping, fine manipulation, pushing or pulling (34 - 66% of the workday);
- occasionally push or pull with forces up to 100 pounds, reach overhead, lift overhead, crawl, knee stand, lie down, pick or jack hammer (less than 33% of the work day);
- frequently push or pull with forces up to 50 pounds, bend, squat, kneel, climb ladders or stairs, or reach overhead (34 - 66% of the work day);
- work outdoors in a variety of temperatures and environmental conditions;
- possess ability to work at heights, full range of body motions and physical agility, and ability to maintain balance;
- Helpers and workers of all shops are also required to shovel snow.
The final candidate is required to complete a background check and a post-offer pre-employment physical successfully.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University requires some candidates to complete a physical capacity exam successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of physical capacity exam may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy.
Go to our careers site.