Requisition # 2017-7263
Department Building Services-Janitors
Category Maintenance and Custodial Services
Date Posted 4/11/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
The Janitor is responsible for all phases of cleaning within the University. Work sites will vary but do include dormitories, athletic buildings, lab/research areas, academic buildings and office areas. Typical tasks will include dusting, mopping the floor, cleaning restrooms, replenishing bathroom supplies, trash removal, vacuuming and extracting carpets, stripping and refinishing of floors, changing light bulbs, and setting up chairs and tables for special events/ meetings.
- Clean bathrooms and fill all dispensers.
- Clean light fixtures and change light bulbs if fixtures can be reached with a 6' ladder.
- Empty trash receptacles. Transfer trash and recyclables to dumpster sites.
- Mop, vacuum, extract, and burnish floor surfaces.
- Inspect assigned work areas for maintenance, cleaning and safety needs.
- Clean stairwells and elevators.
- Spot clean windows.
- Clean building exterior of cigarette butts and debris and shovel snow within the immediate vicinity of a building entrance.
- Set up furniture for special functions.
- Check fire extinguishers.
- Dust wall and horizontal surfaces.
- Extract carpets and strip and refinish floors.
- Distributes exam books.
- Perform other tasks as needed.
- Shovel Snow and remove ice from Building Entrances.
- Operate scooters for transporting personnel, trash, materials, etc.
- Manually transport furniture.
- Work overtime as needed.
- Must be able to comprehend written and oral instructions
- Must be able to operate manual and power janitorial equipment.
- Must be able to occasionally lift and carry up to 50 pounds between 1 and 100 times per day and frequently lift and carry up to 10 pounds between 100 and 500 times per day.
- Must be able to work overtime; before start of shift, at end of shift, week-ends, etc.
- Must be able to climb stairs and climb and work from a 6' step ladder.
- Must be able to bend and kneel, squat, climb and reach or lift overhead occasionally (up to 33% of the work day).
- Stand or walk for 2-4 hours at a time for 6 - 8 hours per day
- Bend push or pull frequently, up to 33% - 66% of the work day.
- Must be able to push or pull forces up to 10 pounds (mopping, vacuuming) constantly (over 500 times per day and push or pull forces up to 60 pounds (large trash cans, heavy equipment) occasionally up to 100 times per day.
- Lift up to 50 pounds in a range of motion from floor to shoulder height.Lift up to 30 pounds in a range of motion from floor to overhead.
- Must have a valid Driver's License for driving University scooters.
- Work outdoors in a variety of environmental conditions and be able to shovel snow. Possess a full range of body motions and physical agility. Frequently use hands for simple grasping, pushing or pulling.
All Facilities employees are considered essential and are expected to be available to work as directed by the department during emergencies and certain campus events.
The final candidate will be required to complete a background check and a post-offer pre-employment physcial successfuly.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
SEU-Service Employees Inter Union
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University requires some candidates to complete a physical capacity exam successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of physical capacity exam may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy.
Go to our careers site.